Dog Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post. Hello everyone! Sofie is our greyhound, Maggie is the Chiweenie rescued mutt we just adopted last week. We think Maggie is deaf. I'm taking her to the vet today. She's now 17 pounds, when originally rescued in April she was 27lbs! The rescue group has really worked at getting her weight down. I'll find out today how much more she needs to loose.

·
Registered
7,832 Posts
Both of your dogs are lovely!
Welcome by the way. :) let us know how maggie's vet visit goes
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
18,782 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for my warm welcome! I meant to post my follow up a couple of days ago, but I've been so busy with the new dog. The vet confirmed that she has a very bad ear infection. Her hearing may return when it clears up, but nothing is certain. I've been applying drops in her ears and have been washing her ears out daily, too. My vet said that over the counter ear washes with "Alcohol" listed as a first ingredient sometimes are too harsh, so I found one that seemed milder.

we have been working on separation anxiety issues, too. At least one hour a day she spends away from me. Sometimes she sits on the screened porch with my greyhound. Sometimes she is crated while I go out and run errands. She is just now feeling comfortable being apart from me. For the past two weeks she has cried during the night and any time she cant see me. I want her to be well adjusted and more independent so it has been a very hard two weeks. I'd like nothing more than to cuddle up with her all day. But she needs to be confident in a variety of settings and I don't want her stressed when it's time to go to the kennel or dog sitter's house. I've also tried to reassure my greyhound that she is not being replaced and she is still a special girl, too. Heres our adoption blog if you'd like to read more. It's child friendly. Maggie: My Adoption Tale - Home

Going to Three Dog Bakery:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey, I just wanted to follow up with Maggie's hearing problem. After ear infection treatments for about ten days, she is showing signs of now being able to hear. She responds now to her name, reacts to sounds and knows to come look when we clang food bowls in the other room. Hooray.

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
What sweet dogs, and its clear you are a very loving owner!
Thanks for sharing your story, and welcome to the forum. :)

·
Super Moderator
11,911 Posts
Yay!!!!
I'm so glad that the infection has cleared up and she can now hear!
We went throught the same thing with Penny (my min pin) when we adopted her. I just hope that Maggie gave you an easier time with the eardrops than Penny did!:p

And good job with working slowly on the anxiety problems! If you need any tips just ask. We will be glad to help!

·
Registered
4,936 Posts
Welcome!!! I love your dogs, ying yang, big and thin - small and chubby :D

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Welcome!!! I love your dogs, ying yang, big and thin - small and chubby :D
Also referred to as Stretch and Shorty, Hamburger and French Fry

Thanks, Tess, kmes and blue pup. You all have great looking pups, too. So far I've have spent WAY too much time looking at everyone's awesome dog profiles and pictures. It's just so much fun. More fun than the gym, where I need to go right now...rats...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts