Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

New dog won't potty?

55K views 27 replies 6 participants last post by  schierling 
#1 ·
I got my new dog Magic approximately 15 hours ago. I or my husband have been around her at all times to watch how she reacts to things and see how she's settling in. She has been taken out every hour after the 9 hour mark and has still no pottied at all. She has eaten and is drinking water regularly. We have checked all the possible corners of the house. I know I might be overreacting, but I'm really worried she hasn't at least peed. Does anyone have any suggestions to prompt her to go?

#2 ·
how old is she and where did you get her. i only ask the where in case she is a rescue.
she may just be a little nervous give her time you might get the odd accident in the house but it won't last for long. you say one or the other has been round her all the time. if she is an older dog not a puppy. i dont mean old just maybe year or more she will take her time to settle in. we got a rescue last october and we tried being nice for the first day then we figured out to just leave her alone and let her come round in her own time. she soon came for a pet and a treat but she wouldnt GO if we watched. if she hasnt gone soon though for at least a pee then i would give the vet a quick ring and ask for any advise. good luck and congratulations on your new addition.

#3 ·
Thank you for your reply. She is 3 years old and was used for breeding only purposes by her former owners. We didn't get her from a shelter, but still rescued her. When I said someone was always with her, I didn't mean standing right beside her, but always able to see her. There were still no accidents in the house this morning when we woke up and she was by my bed waiting to greet me as soon as my alarm went off. I'm hoping this means that while she is in the yard and I am typing this reply, she is going potty. She's well behaved and already accepting of us otherwise. She will come to us when we call and wags her tail and gives kisses like they're going out of style.

#5 ·
Well she hadn't gone that I had seen before I left for work. My husband installed a doggie door into the back yard before he left for work and hopefully she'll put it to good use. Thank y'all for your replies! (Sorry, the Texan in me is hard to drop)
Posted via Mobile Device

#7 ·
I used to run a boarding facility and new dogs always took time to adjust to the new surroundings. Sometimes it was quite a while before they found a place that they felt comfortable with. Hopefully it wont be in your house. It may take some training to use the doggie door if she has never used one before. It may take some treats to encourage her to go through the doggie door. You might get a few tips from this. I really like this trainer.

#6 ·
Well, she may be afraid to "go potty" while people are watching. That is a very common thing for dogs who have been scolded for having accidents indoors. Maybe you can sneak a peak at her out the window sometime?

Overall, we say dogs need several weeks, if not up to 6 months to blossom in a new home, particularly if they have had a tough time of it in their last home.

Good luck to you and we hope to hear more and see some pictures too!

#8 ·
we got our lottie in october and i would say although she looked well settled it is only recently that we have seen a big difference in her character. give it time you will all settle and things will be ok but honestly keep your eye out for a pee cos she needs to do one as you know and by the way the texan i think is great but hen i am a lowly yorkshire lass

#9 ·
You think you could bring to a park and see if she will pee and poop there? Marty did not like peeing in our yard when I first brought him home. When the people next door had a male dog stay over that dog peed everywhere in the yard and that that got Marty peeing too. I had Marty a year April 16 and he still will not poop in his own yard . I can stay outside for a half a hour and he will not poop! I have to bring him to a park . I would be very worried if my dog did not pee for 15 hours. Is she trying to pee at all? I would call a 24 hours vet clinic and see if they think your dog need to be seen right away.

#10 ·
We are seeing the vet today. She did pee (finally!) but has still not pooped and hasn't peed again. I took her to a dog park this morning in hopes she would at least go there and she didn't. So far so good on the doggie door, but she just goes outside and looks around. She's really timid for a GSD and is scared of pretty much everything, especially the sounds of power tools and cars. We discovered she doesn't like to be left alone and tends to dig in the trash (though she doesn't eat anything she just drags a few pieces out). She does not play (sticks, tennis balls, stuffed toys, squeaky toys, and rubber toys are toys we've tried). She accepts treats but won't eat them right away, she takes them and hides them in her blanket. She takes a mouthful of food and carries it to the backroom where our guest bed is to eat. She sleeps on the floor next to me but she is still a pretty nervous around my husband. She acts like she's never been brushed before but loves it. I don't know how her former owners treated her but someone definitely corrupted this dog. We're going to keep working with her though. I bought a book about the breed (though I've had GSDs before I figured I'd educate myself further) and have been talking to a trainer to see what he thinks I could do to help her relax when we're away and when only my husband is home.
Posted via Mobile Device

#11 ·
We are seeing the vet today. She did pee (finally!) but has still not pooped and hasn't peed again. I took her to a dog park this morning in hopes she would at least go there and she didn't. So far so good on the doggie door, but she just goes outside and looks around. She's really timid for a GSD and is scared of pretty much everything, especially the sounds of power tools and cars. We discovered she doesn't like to be left alone and tends to dig in the trash (though she doesn't eat anything she just drags a few pieces out). She does not play (sticks, tennis balls, stuffed toys, squeaky toys, and rubber toys are toys we've tried). She accepts treats but won't eat them right away, she takes them and hides them in her blanket. She takes a mouthful of food and carries it to the backroom where our guest bed is to eat. She sleeps on the floor next to me but she is still a pretty nervous around my husband. She acts like she's never been brushed before but loves it. I don't know how her former owners treated her but someone definitely corrupted this dog. We're going to keep working with her though. I bought a book about the breed (though I've had GSDs before I figured I'd educate myself further) and have been talking to a trainer to see what he thinks I could do to help her relax when we're away and when only my husband is home.
Posted via Mobile Device
It sound like the poor dog was not allowed to be a 'dog' with the last owner that they only used her for making money. I wonder if she ate anything from the trash can and that is causing a blockage so she can't poop. Marty had impacted bowel when I got him. An X ray showed that he was blocked with poop and he needed an enema.
I am glad to hear your dog it seeing the vet today. I was hoping your dog would feel more comfortable taking a poop at a park , I know some dogs do not like to poop in their own yard. The poor dog had to been abused by real horrible man to be so afraid of your husband.
I am so glad your dog finally has a good home with caring people.

#12 ·
When dogs are designated for breeding many are left in kennels and not treated as pets. They are like the babies that are left in cribs and don't have human touch and companionship. You will have to start over and teach all of these things. This may help. Also you might still use a crate when you leave her alone, she is probably used to it and might feel more secure in a crate.

#13 ·
Thank y'all for your replies! The vet said she'll go when she's ready but there was no blockage or anything wrong internally. Her hind legs are a little swollen so we're keeping an eye on that. She could benefit from putting a few pounds on and she might have heartworms. We're waiting oon the blood test to know for sure if it's heartworms or not. They want a stool sample when she finally does poop. And she's officially up to date on all her shots. Thank you for your advice everyone!
Posted via Mobile Device

#15 ·
Thank y'all for your replies! The vet said she'll go when she's ready but there was no blockage or anything wrong internally. Her hind legs are a little swollen so we're keeping an eye on that. She could benefit from putting a few pounds on and she might have heartworms. We're waiting oon the blood test to know for sure if it's heartworms or not. They want a stool sample when she finally does poop. And she's officially up to date on all her shots. Thank you for your advice everyone!
Posted via Mobile Device
Does the vet know why her legs are a little swollen ? I am so happy you have this dog now , she will have a good life now.

#14 ·
#16 ·
We just got a call from our vet a couple hours ago. Her heartworm test came back negative but she's positive for Lyme disease and he thinks that why her hind legs are swollen and why she's not using the bathroom regularly. We are having her hips xrayed tomorrow to see if she has hip dysplasia because GSDs are predisposed to it. We also have to get a urine sample as soon as possible and are starting her antibiotics tomorrow. We did get her a crate today and keep the door open so she can go in and out freely. She has found comfort in my husband's socks and has chewed through one already. We are going to give her some old ones since this is the only thing we've seen her play with. She's opened up a little bit more with my husband and even wags her tail when he calls her and pets her (maybe just because of the socks but it's a start ha). Magic just started a long road to recovery but I'm confident she'll get there! I'll either post a new forum or just keep updating everyone on this one. Thank y'all so much for your advice and concern. I will upload more pictures of her soon!
Posted via Mobile Device

#17 ·
dont give her old socks if she is chewing them. If she swallows part of it it could create a huge problem if it gets stuck on its way through. My dog chewed and swallowed part of my sons sock last week. He is lucky it cam through but how it did i dont know he pooed something the isze of his tail and the rest he threw up the next day. If that had got stuck in his intestines it would have meant major surgeory and huge vets bills. If the dog likes chewing get something for her to chew on like a big treat or bone. A kong may help too fill it with things like frozen veg and fruit or my rescue likes peanut butter

#18 ·
We got her one of those no stuffing toys hoping it would resemble the sock close enough for her to play with it. Thank you for your information!

Update on Magic: she started her heartworm preventative today and as soon as we can get a urine sample she will be able to start her antibiotics (as long as it is within 48 hrs). I contacted her previous owner out of the goodness of my heart to tell her she may consider having her other dogs checked out. Should've known better, but her exact words were "I find it hard to believe she has Lyme. She has never looked or acted sick with us."

Wish I could figure out a way to get those other dogs out of there, but I don't think I have enough on them to call the Humane Society or Police Department. Any ideas?
Posted via Mobile Device

#19 ·
We got her one of those no stuffing toys hoping it would resemble the sock close enough for her to play with it. Thank you for your information!

Update on Magic: she started her heartworm preventative today and as soon as we can get a urine sample she will be able to start her antibiotics (as long as it is within 48 hrs). I contacted her previous owner out of the goodness of my heart to tell her she may consider having her other dogs checked out. Should've known better, but her exact words were "I find it hard to believe she has Lyme. She has never looked or acted sick with us."

Wish I could figure out a way to get those other dogs out of there, but I don't think I have enough on them to call the Humane Society or Police Department. Any ideas?
Posted via Mobile Device
When my last dog had Lyme disease he had a limp in his front legs . What a jerk that last owner sound like! The poor dog legs are swollen and she not pooping , I would not call that a healthy dog.
I wish you could take all the dogs away from that jail they're living in!

#22 ·
We are hoping so. She started her antibiotics today. She has opened up to my husband a bit more. He took her out for a jog and she came in wagging her tail and loving on him when he sat down to relax.

We discovered she is protective despite her timidness and sweet personality even to strangers. When we were at the vet earlier getting her medicine and talking with the vet about her behavior and methods of working with her in general, a small pug got a little snappy at me and Magic jumped right between us and gave a low growl. She backed off as soon as I tugged her leash and told her to calm. The owners of the pug and I ended up having a very nice conversation and now I can approach the pug without worry of her snapping. This makes me and Magic happy and we have appointments on the same day next week so maybe we'll see them again.

We had to get some wet food to convince Magic to take her pill and so far she seems to be handling both the food and medicine well. We mixed it in with some of her dry food to make it easier on her tummy. She has grown fond of a rawhide bone we got her and she has taken to that instead of socks and the stuffing free toy.

Need help with a new issue now: Magic is scared of the noise of our A/C and heater. We llive in Vermont and the temperatures range from as low as 25 degrees (f) at night and 70 degrees (f) during the day. How can I calm her fears of the noises of our central heat/air kicking on automatically?
Posted via Mobile Device

#27 ·
Need help with a new issue now: Magic is scared of the noise of our A/C and heater. We llive in Vermont and the temperatures range from as low as 25 degrees (f) at night and 70 degrees (f) during the day. How can I calm her fears of the noises of our central heat/air kicking on automatically?
Posted via Mobile Device
This may help. Even if Magic isnt barking you can use this to help her understand that the noise isnt something to be afraid of. Kikopup has been a great help in many areas for our dogs.

#23 ·
Cream cheese is my secret weapon for pill delivery. Just tuck the pill in a ball of cream cheese. If needed, you can roll the ball in crumbled bacon or finely chopped cooked liver. Even my clever pill-sorting dog is fooled by this.

Regarding the noise of the A/C, she may habituate to it with time, or you can speed up the process through counter conditioning. Simply toss a treat to her every time the machine comes on. In time, she'll come to associate the noise with something good. Try this for a week and see how it goes.

PS. Hello fellow northerner. We are in New Hampshire. ;)

#24 ·
Thank you for the advice! She is a little less jumpy about the noise already, but she still gets wide-eyed and looks around.

And wow! Small world! I'm new up here though, just moved here from Texas last August. Good thing this past winter was mild because I was NOT looking forward to it!
Posted via Mobile Device

#25 ·
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.