Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At first the new dog wasn't getting along, but maybe they are getting along a little too well now...

My dog, Aria, is the "original" mixed breed and is somewhere between 2-3 years old. I brought Meryl, a ~1-2 year old greyhound mix (both spayed) home about 4 months ago and it took some getting used to. Now, they are very good friends and play a lot. The play is much more positive (before Meryl had a little too much crazy puppy play in her for Aria's liking) but it has gotten 90% better.

But now, Meryl is fascinated with Aria. She won't leave her side if she can help it. Aria doesn't like to play catch anymore because Meryl goes after every ball, Aria doesn't pick up toys lately because Meryl takes them in effort to play with her. They run and play in the yard and in the house VERY well and they both like each other, but Aria gets frustrated and tired of the constant contact. Aria has even stepped away from wanting attention because Meryl butts in. As much as I try to prevent it, Aria is long gone before I can get Meryl in the other room. Aria doesn't get aggressive, just walks away. She just acts distant now with me.

I have tried deterring Meryl with another toy and attention before/after Aria but these haven't worked well. Does anyone have other suggestions? Am I not giving it as much time as they might need to adjust to each other? Thank you for any and all suggestions!

·
Registered
433 Posts
Our older dog (one year old) does the same thing with our pup. I can tell when the dog gets frazzled and I separate them for a while to give the older dog a break. They usually can't wait to get back together to play though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.