Dog Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I’m new to the forum so I hope I’m doing this right.
I recently adopted a 1 and a half year old pitbull mix. I’ve only had him for a bit more than a week and he’s an absolute sweetheart...except for one thing. Now that he’s gotten comfortable he’s gotten this really bad habit of jumping up on people. And not just that, he’s been biting too. He’ll bite my sweater sleeves, ankles, hands.
I’ve tried turning around and ignoring him but sometimes he’ll jump and bite my hoodie or the bottom of my shirt. I’ve tried the yelping method but that makes him bit harder. In case he’s teething ive gotten him chew toys but it feels like he’d rather bite me and them. And I’ve also resorted to using those nasty sprays so that he wouldn’t bite my sleeves but after a while he got use to the taste and went right back at it.
I’m getting some really bad bruising and scratches on my arms and legs cause of this. I’m not giving up on this dog but I do need some help with how to deal with this issue.

·
Super Moderator
5,251 Posts
Does he know a ”sit”?

If so, get him to do that instead - he can't jump and sit at the same time. Reward the sit really, really well so it becomes a better option for him.

Or scatter treats on the ground, again he can't jump with his nose on the floor.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Ugggh....my pup does this too. He always seems to do it when i'm doing laundry or not paying full attention and doing my own thing. I started telling him "ahah" (cuz he knows this) and telling him to get a toy each time he is jumping at me and nipping at my clothes. Then I play some tug or walk around doing my thing while my pup is pulling on the toy (jumping at it as I walk around). Eventually he might get bored with you doing your own thing and walking around and just give it up altogether and find something better to entertain himself with or settle somewhere. If he doesn't get bored, at least he is not biting at your clothes and your engaging him working a bit of energy off.

Not saying it's a cure all, but it helped for my pup.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Say off not down. When dogs jump up if you have something in your hand use it to block. If your hands are free grab their paws and squeeze. Just hard enough to make the dog want to get away. Doesn't take too many times and the dog does not like the response. Had a lady who had 4 bulldogs. The big younger male started immediately to jump up, did the paws, then he ran away then charged back ready to jump again along with 2 more of the youngers. I said firmly SIT. All 4 sat, the lady's reaction was funny. But they all stayed sitting and waiting on me. She had not taught them any boundaries. Be firm and consistent.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I taught my dog "on your mat". He especially liked to jump and mouth me when when he got out of his crate. I worked with training to go to his mat (a quilt on the floor, it's there always for him to lie on if he chooses). It gives him a command to think about and takes his mind off of jumping (I may not be describing this in the best dog training language). I worked with repeatedly him in the crate for ten minute sessions several times a day, me opening the crate and giving the "on your mat command" and treating him for all four paws on the mat. Some people like to train the dog to go to the mat and lie down, I am fine with him him just standing with all four paws on the mat. I also will randomly treat him for a calm settle when he chose just to lie on the mat throughout the day.. He's not perfect with it yet, he will jump a little, but no mouthing, then he'll run to the mat for me to greet him. I do still have to give an "on your mat command", he doesn't do it automatically but that's my goal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts