Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
5,688 Posts
I went to petco to try to get my dog groomed and they wouldn't do it because he was growling at them. He's a poodle mix (probably shih zoo).
We got him recently and he has very matted fur. We cut a little around his eyes so he can see better. He really needs a haircut.
Is it a bad idea to do it ourselves? We don't want to hurt him. He doesn't like strangers and honestly, I don't think we are going to be able to get him to any time soon even with having a trainer.
Grooming is a commitment. My recommendation is get quality tools.
You will be using them for years so invest in good clippers. Oster has some great ones. Don't use those plastic combs that come with the cheep clippers. Get real blades. I used to use a #10 on the face and feet and a #7 skip tooth on the body. That will give you a puppy cut. Then you use scissors for the top of the head and ears if they are not matted.If they are matted clip down and start over. You will need a couple of blades because they get hot and can burn if you are not careful. Get a grooming book so you know what you are doing at least a little when you start. Go slow never be in a hurry when you clip.

· Registered
5,688 Posts
Okay..now the shaving part. That's what we need done. What is an appropriate tool to use for that? I don think he's in pain exactly but it is knotted enough to probably be uncomfortable.
You need a good pair of clippers. A # 7 blade or a # 7 skip toothed blade. He is in pain if he is matted. I used to tell my clients to grab a short hairs at the back of their necks and twist and pull that is what a matted dog feels like all the time. You will have to go sow though. Two people would be better then one. One to hold and soothe while the other shaves. Lots of praise and yummy treats.

· Registered
5,688 Posts
We got him cut. He's all shaved down. He got it done Monday. Ever since he got his cut, he's been acting different. I think his sedation is worn off. However, now when it's time to take him outside he starts shaking. I thought maybe he was chilly, but it's not that because he does it before we even leave the apartment. Plus, he did it tonight and it's unusually warm out tonight.
We actually had to carry him to the grass to get him to go.
He also doesn't seem to want to leave the couches.
You might want to get him a little t shirt to make him feel more secure.

· Registered
5,688 Posts
He's also rubbing his face on things even more now. He also insists on laying right on top of us. Before we dropped him off there he was fine with laying around the house.
You might want to moisturize him with cold pressed coconut oil. You can use it inside and out. Rub him down out side and put some in his food. Start slow on the inside 1/4 teaspoon and build up to recommended dose. Make sure it is cold pressed no processed it cooks all the good out.
The Health Benefits Of Coconut Oil For Dogs

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.