Dog Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We adopted our 4-7 year old dog and were told he was on wet food because of his missing teeth/bad dental health. We tried giving him wet food and he threw it up and stopped eating it so we gave him rice for dinner that day. Then we tried dry food and he liked it and seemed okay, then this morning he threw that up and it was BARELY digested. I don't even feel like I was feeding him that much just in case. It says to feed him 1 cup or a little more and I fed him a little less than that every time just in case.

Do you think this is just a case of new dog getting used to his food? Or there possibly something else going on? He's supposed to be on medication for his dental problems, but the shelter didn't give it to us and I don't think they were giving it to him to begin with. When he threw up the wet food, there was some white foam with it. Today it was just yellow with some of the small food in it.

Hill's Science Diet Adult Small & Toy Breed Dry Dog Food, 4.5-lb bag

That's what we are feeding him. We were feeding him Science Diet wet food.

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
Oh that's so sad, how heartbreaking! :(

Usually if a dog is adjusting to food, I think you generally get problems out the other end, and not so much of the vomiting. If he was okay with the rice, I would try giving him rice and boiled chicken for a couple days, and I would also have a conversation with your vet.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Science Diet is junk food, lIke eating a staple diet of McDonalds. The vomiting may be that he has allergies to either some of the (many) fillers, grains, or even a protein source in that food. A common protein allergy is poultry such as chickey or turkey (we were blessed with a dog allergic to bird meat and most grains).

·
Banned
6,019 Posts
i know @Dawnben had a similar problem with her dog and it turned out to be a meat intolerance to everything but turkey. @Larkspur is right hils science amongst others like any supermarket ones, eukanuba, iams, pedigree, royal canin, nutro is like feeding mcdonalds and junk.

in the meantime id stick to boiled chicken and rice id suggest cooking barley but not sure its used to stop vomiting i do know it calms down the guts and intenstines and any inflammation and also stops what i like calling the runs or squirts out the other end.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts