Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I am new to this forum. I need help. We have a 18 month old Australian shepherd and just adopted a one yet old hound mix. We are not sure where she should sleep. We always had penny the AS sleep in a crate with us upstairs. We put Molly the hound in the office downstairs In a crate. She goes in fine, but now barks starting at 5 AM! She is fully potty trained so it isn't an urge to go out. We have tried to ignore but she won't stop. Do you think it's separation anxiety? Our fear of moving Penny downstairs to be with her is that I don't want both barking early.

Thoughts??

·
Registered
77 Posts
What time do you cut off water/food at night? My dogs did this because I was giving them water too late at night. So maybe that is the issue. Even if they are fully potty trained water too late will make them bark to go out. However, it seems more like it could also be separation anxiety from the other dog. I have two and putting them in separate crates in different rooms often causes them to bark because they want to be next to each other. Maybe putting them both down near each other is the best option.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We cut off food/water at 6:00 because she was having accidents. She goes at around 11, so without food and water we thought she was ok. But anything is possible.
Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We moved them both to our room for now on separate crates and it worked out great . No barking.

The issue we only just realized today is that she still doesn't understand how to hold her pee or to tell us she has to go. We were out only 2 hours tonight and I caught her on the dropcam peeing on my rug. She has come before we left and we didn't leave water. I am worried she will never learn??

·
Registered
77 Posts
That is great that the barking has stopped! Do not give up on the peeing issue. She will learn. If you aren't already doing this, when you are home set a timer for an hour and every time it goes off take her outside to go potty. Don't get discouraged, I have two dachshunds and they can be stubborn.

You might also want to buy a spray that discourages peeing in certain areas like this No Go Housebreaking Spray and also buy a pee stake for your yard to encourage her to go like this one Simple Solution Pee Post Pheromone-Treated Yard Stake.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Also when your away try using a crate. Dogs do not like to use the restroom where they laydown. So it might help with learning to hold the bladder when your away.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts