Dog Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Adopted Ernie on Saturday from a. Local rescue. When I picked hi up the said he had kennel cough but wasn't contagious as he's been being treated. They gave me some doxycycline in a ziploc.

His cough is a wet productive cough, my vet agrees with me that it is not kennel cough. She said upper respiratory infection and put him on clavamox on Wednesday.

No improvement yet.

Anything else I can be doing? I'm worried about him. He is eating and drinking, but not a lot.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My dog Binx has a dry hacking cough. He's a pomeranian so a narrow trachea or irritated upper respiratory could be the issue. He also had an ecg done and we discovered he has mitral valve disease and the left side of his heart is slightly enlarged. So it could be his heart pressing against his chest causing the cough or it could be upper respiratory. We were also given clavamox and hydrocodone. He still coughs but the hydrocodone helps significantly.

My point is maybe have an ecg done. See if he has an enlarged heart.

·
Banned
6,019 Posts
my dogs have had kennel cough before and no way is it a wet cough more dry one. Id get the vet to do a full physical exam, x rays , maybe like mentioned an ECG, or ultrasound to check for anything abnormal

1 - 4 of 4 Posts