Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I adopted a dog on Sunday. She's a mastiff, estimated to be 1.5-2 years old. I'm feeding her the same dry food that she had at her foster home, but having trouble getting her to eat. If I mix in a little wet food, she will eat all of the wet, and maybe half of the dry food. (I'm feeding her the same amounts she was getting previously)
She also won't drink water, although she will eat ice. I've tried putting ice in her water bowl, and she still doesn't want it.
Other than this, she seems to be adjusting ok - hasn't shown any aggression or fear, seems pretty content, sleeps and plays and cuddles.
Is this normal, will she start eating and drinking normally as she adjusts? I realize it's only been a couple days, and I'm not super concerned at this point, because she has been eating plenty of ice, and at least getting some food in. But I'm wondering if there's anything I can do, or anything I should be doing differently, to encourage her. (especially the drinking)
Thanks in advance for any advice for this new dog owner! :)

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Try wetting the food. Could also be she just does not like the food. After a couple of weeks if she does not start eating normally I would think about changing the food.
What food did they send with the dog. Foster homes sometimes have to feed less than desirable food because they have to feed many. Is she on a large breed food?

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Try bottled or filtered water, she may just not like the chlorine, etc. in tap water.

For the food, what are you feeding? Maybe she'd prefer another flavor or type of food.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I would add that especially with adults (from my experience) it is not uncommon for them to eat/drink less in a new environment. Once she gets more comfortable over the next few days you should notice an increase in appetite. If you are concerned that she may be sick, you could see what level of interest you get from a high value treat (like bits of hot dog).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So it turns out, she seemed to not like the bowls I got her for food and water (metal dog food/water bowls). I had put out an extra bowl of water, in a totally different shape/size/material bowl, and she will drink out of that one. So then I tried changing the food bowl too (the original food and water bowls were the same), and she is eating better too. I still have to mix in a little soft food to kind of get her interested, but then she eats all of it.
Thank you everyone for your suggestions!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts