Dog Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all, I recently adopted a 3y old Australian Shepherd, and she's wonderful in all regards, but I have been having some trouble in getting her to pee and poop where I want her to! I live in an apartment, so she has to be on leash and go in places where other dogs also go. I have had her for about two weeks now.

She was housetrained at her foster home and did beautifully with it, but once she came to live with me, she outright refused to potty ANYWHERE at first. She waited 36 hours before she eventually had an accident in her crate at night. Even now, she is still reluctant to go, inside or outside, and typically waits 24-30 hours before having an accident.

She act like a housetrained dog - asks to go outside periodically and such and I take her each time, but once we get outside she just sniffs around and won't go. She is nervous, and very submissive towards other dogs and people, so maybe the fact that she smells them in a deterrent or she just isn't comfortable in her new home to go yet. It also could be that she is uncomfortable going on a leash or going in front of me. The weather is also bad where I am right now, and I know she doesn't like being outside long because of that.

Things I have tried:
-Going back to puppy housetraining 101 in terms of always keeping her crated or leashed near me, and taking her out once every hour when I am home.
-Taking a piece of poop and kleenex with urine on it outside where I want her to go
-Spraying the urine attractant where I want her to go (did not work AT ALL - she was afraid of it)
-Using a long (15ft) lead so she has the option to go further away from me. I have also tried letting her off leash - doesn't work, she just stands near me and stares at me.
-Taking her both consistently to the same spot, as well as walking/going for runs to different spots.
-Taking her to locations away from the apartment that are not highly traveled by other people/dogs

I do not scold her when she has accidents in the house, as I don't want her to be afraid to go in front of me. If she pees in front of me, I will stop her by telling her to come and tugging her on the leash to go outside. I'm at a loss of what to do. She obviously has no issues going in her kennel or in front of me if she absolutely cannot hold it anymore... unfortunately, none of those times have been outside.

Perhaps this will work itself out once she is less nervous in her new home (I have been working with her on this as well), but I'm scared of her developing a bad habit in the sense of thinking going inside the house is okay. Not to mention, I feel bad constantly keeping her kenneled/on a short leash as that is not my ideal quality of life for her.

She has been to the vet and is completely healthy, so no medical issues there, just behavioral one.

If anyone has any suggestions, I would really appreciate it.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Do you just take her to 1 spot and stand there? Since she's an older dog I would take her for a walk. When dogs are moving it stimulates there bladders and should make her want to pee.

You might also want to contact her foster family and see if they have any suggestions or tricks to get her to go potty.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts