Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I adopted Ava in October. She is a 3 year old Chinese Crested. I have 2 boys, too - Sam a 6 year old Crestie, and Codie a 10 year old Bichon Mix (I adopted Codie 7 years ago and Sam 3 years ago).

Both of my boys follow me everywhere and always position themselves so that they may watch my every move. They are my shadows. Ava, however, is very different - She is very clingy at times and then she is also very detached and disappears throughout the day, only to go sit alone, in the dark, laying on the basement sofa. I have a wood stove burning downstairs and sometimes she seems to be sitting watching the flames, other times she seems to be sleeping. She does come to me when I call her...but what strikes me as so weird is that she does have a bit of separation anxiety when left home alone...but when I am home she seems to goes off on her own.

She does have dry eye, but is on medication and it is improving. I had thought that maybe the light upstairs bothered her eye, and she just prefers darker places as it maybe more comforting for her eye, but I am not convinced that this is the reason. She is also a very skittish little girl - she jumps out of her skin if you raise your voice or drop something. My house is kept warm and she is always in a fleece pj, so sitting in a very hot family room in her jammies also strikes me as weird. She tends to run warm, anyway, for a bald pup.

Very little is known about her history except she was an owner surrender (probably due to the medical issue) and had been crated for very long hours for the first 2-3 years of her life.... she was in foster, too, for 8 months with 2 other Chinese Crested boys prior to coming to me. She is excessively overweight and I have put her on a very, very strict diet now, and increased exercise, but she is not losing weight at all. She has tested negative for thyroid, but her doc is ruling out potential health issues slowly.

Otherwise, she is a sweetie...she is definitely the "alpha" in the 3 pups I have and she put the boys in their place within the first 30 seconds, when the first met. She loves to play, and she plays hard, with people, as do all of my pups, although none of them play together. The dogs tolerate each other...sleep on top of eachother at night...and everything appears normal between them.

I just wonder why she is so drawn to sitting alone, in a dark basement...it is a behavior that I am just not accustomed to in a dog.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
no idea but if she's by a fireplace that's bad for her dry eyes. If I stay with my inlaws when they have a wood burning stove going I have to put on chapstick in the middle of the night...very drying. my dog prefers to be alone sometimes, too...so no answers but I do know what you are talking about.

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
Some females are less concerned about cuddling as males. They prefer getting attention only when they want it. Has she always wore pajamas? She may feel confined in them. Also some toy breeds run a higher temp then larger breeds. One of my Chihuahuas is like a heating pad and likes to be under covers or laying on a real heating pad..:)

She has been with you for almost three months. That is not that long so I would give her more time to settle in. She is getting use to all the new stuff and the freedom. The separation anxiety could actually be fear of large spaces. If she is use to being kenneled she may not be comfortable yet with being left in such a large area. You could try gating her in a room or kenneling when you leave. She may feel more secure that way for now. A kennel or room has one way in so only one place to have to watch for something that might get her..:)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick replies.

Marbear - Concerning the dry eye, surprisingly, the wood stove does not seem to negatively affect her. She is on meds and lubricating drops throughout the day and is, thankfully, improving. But, it does dry me out, too.

LynnMarie - It has only been a few months and, I agree, Ava has not fully adapted to my home, the activity, the noise, etc. She has been through a lot in her little life, and I am still learning her quirks, and she is till learning mine. And, there are significant differences between her and my boys....I am so used to them being up in my business and always under my feet. I do confine her, with the boys, in the kitchen and family room area when I leave and at night (more for potty issues than any other reason....cresties are tough to train), and she has been getting better in dealing with the separation anxiety... she is smart and realizes that I will come back soon.

Strangely, this behavior of sitting alone in the dark recently started when my daughter went back to college. Ava instantly bonded with my daughter in the 3weeks they spent together over Christmas break. She had been sneaking in my daughter's bedroom and laying on some dirty dlothes that were left behind until I cleaned the room and closed the door...and then Ava moved "her spot" to the basement.... Maybe she misses my daughter? Hmmm.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
next time your daughter is home, give her a blanket to get her scent on...it won't hurt anything and will make her more comfortable. Maybe you can move the blanket more to where the rest of the family stays to help her learn to like being around you?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts