Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My family and I brought home our rescue pup yesterday. From what we were told about her, she has an "old soul" and loves to be pet and to be around others. We did a lot of research about bringing a dog into our home before she got here, and though we felt prepared we now feel a bit lost as to what to do. We knew that she would not immediately be her true self, but she has barely left her crate in the 24 hours we've had her. We think she is just adjusting to her new environment, but she seems scared to leave that room, like she thinks it's the only place she's allowed to be. There is no access to outside from the floor her crate is on (probably a bad move on our part) and she refuses to go down the stairs. She also gets very panicked when we try to pick her up to bring her downstairs and outside. She has not gone the bathroom any of the times we've brought her outside, though she did have an accident overnight which we were expecting because she didn't go to the bathroom all day. We are worried that if we can't get her downstairs and outside often enough she will develop a habit of holding it and then going potty overnight, but she downright refuses to be led or brought down the stairs. I know this is a lot of information all at once, but as first time dog owners we are very overwhelmed! She did not eat this morning, and we are worried that if we push too hard to get her to come out of the room or go downstairs we will end up traumatizing her which is the last thing we want to do!

·
Registered
564 Posts
My family and I brought home our rescue pup yesterday. From what we were told about her, she has an "old soul" and loves to be pet and to be around others. We did a lot of research about bringing a dog into our home before she got here, and though we felt prepared we now feel a bit lost as to what to do. We knew that she would not immediately be her true self, but she has barely left her crate in the 24 hours we've had her. We think she is just adjusting to her new environment, but she seems scared to leave that room, like she thinks it's the only place she's allowed to be. There is no access to outside from the floor her crate is on (probably a bad move on our part) and she refuses to go down the stairs. She also gets very panicked when we try to pick her up to bring her downstairs and outside. She has not gone the bathroom any of the times we've brought her outside, though she did have an accident overnight which we were expecting because she didn't go to the bathroom all day. We are worried that if we can't get her downstairs and outside often enough she will develop a habit of holding it and then going potty overnight, but she downright refuses to be led or brought down the stairs. I know this is a lot of information all at once, but as first time dog owners we are very overwhelmed! She did not eat this morning, and we are worried that if we push too hard to get her to come out of the room or go downstairs we will end up traumatizing her which is the last thing we want to do!
How old is your dog?

·
Super Moderator
1,252 Posts
Give her some time, as much as she needs for now. It may be that she has been scolded in the past for toileting indoors, and because of that thinks she was scolded for the act and not the location. So she might be reluctant to toilet in front of you. I'm afraid you may have to resign yourself to cleaning up some accidents at first but don't make any fuss, for the reason I gave above.

Can you sit in the room with her, not facing her (because eye contact is quite intimidating) reading a book or something and occasionally tossing treats in her direction, preferably past her so she moves further away from you to get them?

Definitely avoid picking her up, that unsettled e en confident dogs and that complete removal of choice will make her more wary.

The treat thing is to try to build her confidence.

Once you have been doing that for a day or two, see what happens if you toss a treat that lands between you and her. If she is confident in getting it, great. If not go back to step one.

For her normal food, leave it in the room and walk out - she may eat when she is alone, possibly at night.

Can you try the treat thing and come back to us?

·
Super Moderator
3,731 Posts
Did you adopt her from a shelter or rescue group? Had she been kenneled or was she being cared for in a foster home? Do you know anything about her previous life?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did you adopt her from a shelter or rescue group? Had she been kenneled or was she being cared for in a foster home? Do you know anything about her previous life?
We adopted her from a rescue group! She came up from Alabama this weekend and came home with us after a quarantine period (mandated in our state) so we know she's been through a lot! She, and the rest of her litter, were rescued by a woman when they were 6 weeks old and she has been with her since. We believe she came from a kennel situation, but wasn't one of the kenneled dogs. The woman who had her mentioned she has over 50 dogs, but from the information she told us about our pup it seems as though she lived and slept in the house. We were told she didn't sleep in a crate but that she liked to sleep under tables and under beds, and she has taken to her crate very well which was my biggest worry when she came home. We know she's been through a lot in a very short period of time, but we are just worried that we are doing something wrong so we are looking for some friendly advice from people more knowledgeable than us! :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Give her some time, as much as she needs for now. It may be that she has been scolded in the past for toileting indoors, and because of that thinks she was scolded for the act and not the location. So she might be reluctant to toilet in front of you. I'm afraid you may have to resign yourself to cleaning up some accidents at first but don't make any fuss, for the reason I gave above.

Can you sit in the room with her, not facing her (because eye contact is quite intimidating) reading a book or something and occasionally tossing treats in her direction, preferably past her so she moves further away from you to get them?

Definitely avoid picking her up, that unsettled e en confident dogs and that complete removal of choice will make her more wary.

The treat thing is to try to build her confidence.

Once you have been doing that for a day or two, see what happens if you toss a treat that lands between you and her. If she is confident in getting it, great. If not go back to step one.

For her normal food, leave it in the room and walk out - she may eat when she is alone, possibly at night.

Can you try the treat thing and come back to us?
I will definitely be trying this! We were definitely expecting her accident this morning and cleaned it up quickly and then gave her a few pets because she seemed fearful that she had an accident. However, we know she doesn't think of us as "her people" yet, so it's all a process. Thank you for these tips! I will try them out the next few days and hopefully will be able to come back and give a positive update!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts