Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We rescued a stray from a shelter and named him Sully. We've had him for almost 4 full days days and he doesn't seem to understand his name. Maybe he is just stubborn, but I don't think so. He doesn't look at us when we say it. Our last dog was a shelter dog and understood it by the 3rd day. Another name we were going to call him was Cooper. I'm not sure if we should change it.

·
Registered
501 Posts
One of he biggest mistakes people make is over using a dog's name. In the beginning if you say it over and over constantly it has zero meaning to the dog. One thing my trainer taught us to get them to learn their name was to use their name ONLY as a marker preceding a command in the early months...such as "PAX...Come" the name being the "hey, get ready for the command" or attention getter "listen to me".

If you treat their name only as a marker cue, it will stick faster.

They key to that is have a bunch of nicknames for your "casual" conversation...fuz nugget, puppy, turd machine, silly...whatever works but use those in place of when you naturally want to use their name until they start to understand the meaning of their name.

I had to just laugh the other day at the poor lady I saw yesterday just yelling her dog's name literally 50 times to try and get her to come at the beach. Dog didn't even flinch as the word had no meaning cuz she just kept yelling it over and over.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
He's just confused, stressed out and in need of some patience. Don't expect anything from a dog for the first 2 weeks. Nothing at all. At that stage, I'm just tossing the dog treats and saying his name a few times an hour. No commands, just yummy treat, name.

If you want to change his name, do it.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
I don't think he minds if you change his name.
as said before, be a bit patient with him. everything is still new. :)

Reactions: Sabina88
1 - 4 of 4 Posts