Dog Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband and I have wanted a dog since we've been together. Our landlord has let us get a dog. We already had to give back a dog after 2 weeks that was a chihuahua/min pin mix because he had severe reaction problems with every man, woman, child and animal. However, he adored my husband and I (especially my husband). We think we forced him into situations too early, making matters worse. However, we also think his mix just wasn't right for us after reading more about min pins.

We just adopted a poodle mix we named Sully that I think is part shizu maybe. The shelter said he was found as a stray. His hair is matted and needs to be shaved (we can't because he has stitches yet) and he has gum issues/missing teeth. They weren't sure how old he is. The medical problems aren't the issue, although they are unfortunate. When we met him he was a little shy, but he was pretty good for the most part, and then the second time he let us pet his belly. We thought he was going to get along fine. Then today happened. We were going to get him a haircut at Petco, but they couldn't because of his stitches. He did well with all the dogs and people there. Except then he peed a few times there. I figured it was because of all the scents and pee everywhere that it would be hard to stop the urge. Not the biggest deal, but then the day got worse. We took him home and waited for the landlord to stop by for the rent. We already knew he likes to bark at strange noises and the door. With our previous bad experience, I was preparing for the worst, and unfortunately the worst happened. The landlord knocked as I was about to take Sully out for a walk and he barked and growled. He did it inside and outside. We opened the door and Sully barked and then jumped and bit his pant leg. Eventually he backed off but continued to not like him being in his presence. He let him leave without a fuss though. Then the landlord did something for a little and asked if he could stop by and see how he does. He came back and Sully barked at the door and growled, but he got inside without being bit. Sully did a little better the second time. He walked around him and sniffed his shoes and pants. He growled once or twice. Then he came over to my husband and I wagging his tail and jumping on us licking our hands as the landlord stood there. He sat by us the rest of the time.
He's paced a lot more today. He peed in the house twice. The second time he peed my husband tried to move him and he almost bit into my husband's hand for the first time. He's liked my husband so far, so that was concerning. We told him to go into his crate, he seemed to know he did something bad. Apparently, we weren't supposed to do that.
He hasn't been interested in playing much today either. Although, he doesn't seem to want to play very often. Most of the time he goes into his pet beds and lays down nice. He's been going outside to the bathroom for the most part. He did scratch the door to let us know twice, so I don't know why he peed inside those two times. Sometimes he just acts like he's peeing and nothing is there.
He seems to be okay on walks when seeing dogs and people. I'm not so sure he wants to get close to them, but he doesn't try to kill them like our last dog. We don't know if he's being like this because he's new and confused, in pain (the shelter didn't give us medicine he's supposed to be on) or if he is going to be too difficult to bring around anyone. He needs more teeth out, so he doesn't have loads of teeth, but that doesn't make the biting any more acceptable. Luckily our landlord was understanding that he's new and is willing to give him a chance to get used to things.
It is causing anxiety in the both of us and I'm very upset that this might not work out either. Also, he doesn't seem to listen to his name.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
I'm sorry it's been so rough. I know how it feels to be looking for a certain type of dog and get something totally different.

But, all is not lost.

He does need some time to settle in. Try to give him a few weeks to feel safe without pressuring him to do anything he doesn't seem ready for - which would include meeting new people. Definitely get him into the vet to see about his meds and teeth. If his teeth hurt, or he's in pain due to the matts in his hair, or he just generally feels unwell, that can make him feel even more uncomfortable and likely to lash out. Once you get some of that sorted, you may notice a major difference.

Once he's had time to settle and is feeling a bit better, maybe consider having a positive trainer/behaviorist come and evaluate him and help if need be. I have a reactive dog, and while we have a long way to go, my trainer has been amazing. I get discouraged easily, and my trainer is just awesome at putting things into perspective and pointing out all the positive things she sees (and I'm always surprised at how many she sees!!) which makes me feel so much better.

Good luck with your new pup, and do post pictures!

**edited because for some reason I thought he was a she. My bad!! :)

·
Registered
875 Posts
Also if he has stitches in, he's definitely in pain! A hurting dog acts very different from a healthy dog. Hang in there, and don't give up yet. Give him time to heal up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts