Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. Four years ago we rescued Roxy who is a Carolina dog and she is an absolutely great pet. We thought she'd enjoy the company of another dog so we rescued Lucy, a 7mo. old terrier/healer mix. They mostly get along GREAT wrestling and running and looking like pups together.

We have had Lucy for 3 months and she is finally house trained. She was very shy of anybody new, but we've been taking her and Roxy to a dog park every day and she is getting much better.

Tonight while I gave Roxy a bowl to lick the 2 of them got into it really bad and Lucy bloodied Roxy's ear and took a small chunk out.

I actually cried about it. Certainly we are Roxy's protectors and feel we need to re-home Lucy. I have to admit I'm heartbroken about giving up Lucy.

Does anyone have advice or ideas?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Sorry but you're ready to rehome Lucy after one episode? Why would you give Roxy a bowl to lick but not the other dog? That would make a lot of two-dog homes a little unsettled. I think rehoming a dog is really a rash decision unless you're not telling us about other experiences.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lucy has shown jealousy before in that she steps in between when anyone wants to pet Roxy, but has only been vicious this time. Lucy was not in the room when the bowl was given to Roxy, but she made a quick appearance after the bowl was down. They have shared bowls in the past. I'm not really ready to give up Lucy but I can't let Roxy be injured again.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Much, much, MUCH too early to be thinking about re-homing! This was more human error than it was a defect in the dog. You either have to separate them when giving out treats, have them both "sit" and give them both the SAME treat, or stop giving out treats altogether. And if this is not the first sign of the new dog trying to be dominant, you'll need to let them work it out (they will figure out who should be alpha - you really can't dictate that). It might get scary at times so be ready to intervene if necessary.

You have LOTS of things to try and to work on before you go the re-homing route. The poor thing just barely got settled and acclimated into your home - don't uproot her again if you can help it.
Sue

1 - 9 of 9 Posts