Dog Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We adopted an American Bulldog mix about 2 1/2 months ago. We estimate she is just shy of a year old. The first month or so was a real struggle with housetraining, but she finally caught on and we were accident free for over a month. Recently, she has started following me around until I stand still, then she squats and poops directly between my feet. At first I thought it was her way of telling me that she'd been giving me the signal and I missed it, but she just did it again immediately after coming in from 45 minutes outside. Does anyone know why she might be doing this and how to make her stop?

Thanks!

·
Registered
13,313 Posts
She is simply not yet house trained thoroughly. Forget speculating about passive aggressive motivations. (that really is not how dogs think... only some humans think that way... dogs are not that complicated.)

Go back to house training her like she is a puppy. It should go pretty quickly this time because she mostly has the right idea, but not totally. That is, she has a C- in house training and you want her to have an A+, so she needs a review course.

Go here and follow the directions closely for a couple of weeks and you should be fine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Tess,

I was mostly joking about the passive aggressive comment, and my first thought really was that I'm just missing her signals. To be honest, they're pretty subtle and I'm still often confused about them. The thing that makes this different is that she used to hide from me to potty in the house, and now she will literally follow me around for ten minutes until I stand in one place, back herself up between my feet and poop. I am having a really hard time believing that there is no intended message here. I don't know if she's trying to "mark" me as hers or if it's something else, but there is clearly some intent on her part. When we were in the thick of potty training, most of her accidents were near a door. Like I mentioned, most of the training process was me trying to figure out her cues - she had the right idea. This seems to be totally different.

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
I'm wondering if she's thinking she'll get a treat for pooing in front of you. She may not yet understand that she only gets treats when she poos outside.

I'd just continue ignoring all accidents in the house, clean them up with an enzyme cleaner, and praise and give her a tasty treat as soon as she goes outside.

Reactions: Wild
1 - 4 of 4 Posts