Dog Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've owned several dogs through my life. It's been a few years since I've been without a dog. I turned 61 last month, and I'm feeling like it's time to find my forever dog. Friends suggested finding a rescue dog.

So I went to the local SPCAs and saw a one that was awesome. Medium size, very well behaved, and likes children and other dogs. Unfortunately the next day someone adopted it. It took a couple days for me to get over that.

I finally started looking again, and found a similar one yesterday, close to closing time, and I was told if I show up at opening time there's good chance I'll get him! Anyway, happy to have found this forum.

Once I get him I'll post pictures. :)

Registered
Awesome to hear, check with your local shelters, I found a program called weekend warrior - some also have fostering. The weekend warrior program for instance allows you to take the dog out for a weekend or a week to give them a break from the shelter. This was a great program for the dogs and would be a great way to bring your companion home until you find the right one for you.

Registered
While you're anxiously waiting, you may find it beneficial to determine what behavioral characteristics you are looking for. Just as breeds vary by appearance in their closeness to a standard, dogs were not only bred to a standard of appearance but also to a standard of behaviors. Science can help us here ... and while any dog's behaviors can be far from the "norm", statistics tells us what the odds are.

During the pandemic, it was very hard to find rescue dogs and often they were scooped up before people could adopt their "chosen one". You don't say where you are located but the internet will let you expand your search,locating dogs by breed, size, age, gender etc with a mile radius you specify. Petfinder is one of the more well known in my spot of the world and rescueme.org is a worldwide one

While we were a dobie family for about 25 years after several purebreds, we started doing Dobie / Dobie mix rescues for about 15 years and now due to availability, have opened our homes to a wider variety of mixed breeds. We prefer dogs in the 60 - 100 pound range that enjoy activity so target or breed selection accordingly as well as matching desired behavioral traits.

When looking for behavioral matches, the C-BarQ database is a very useful scientific tool. Sites like petcalculator can give you a wide range of advice on what to expect from different breeds based upon the C-BARQ behavioral database as well as many other pieces of useful information Breed origin, appearance, size range, growth, temperament, etc). Rather than pick randomly for an example, I looked at AKCs most popular breed for 2021 - Labrador Retriever

The latter lists behavioral tendencies... a score of 50 represents the average of all dog breeds as with any statistical variation most dogs will be near the middle the "bell curve" for individual breeds is the same shape for breed specific variations but shifted to the left or right ... the closer the score is to 0, the more desireable the trait is considered; the closer the score is to 100, the less desirable the trait is considered. That doesn't mean ANY individual dog will display any particular behavior and both environment and genetics play a part ... but the people who bred dogs either knew what they were doing or they were failures. But in general, working dogs display traits beneficial to being working dogs.

Looking at the statistics on that 2nd link... we can see why the Lab is such a popular dogs. How does that help us in dog selection .... well if you want a dog for protection that's easy to train for example, chances aren't good selecting a Husky. They tend to be very welcoming to strangers and will listen to commands where they recognize it will involve getting something they want ... but I could be holding a 20 oz steak in my hands and is it's between that and chasing a squirrel (high prey drive) she's gone.

Ask to see the medical history ..today, that's not as difficult as it might seem as many dogs are "chipped" ... also petcalculator will also advise you as to health issues associated with particular breeds. With this information you can ask the rescue group to perform tests...some will, some may not. With a Pug for example, recommended testing includes:

Elbow Dysplasia
Eye Examination- Pug Dog Club of America recommends ANNUAL screening.
Hip Dysplasia
Patellar Luxation
Pug Dog Encephalitis
Pyruvate Kinase Deficiency (PKD)
Serum Bile Acid Test

As for training and feeding your new dog, there are various training "schools of thought" with strong opinions an all sides for which is best. If there's anything I have learned over the last 50 years including training security dogs for 4 years, it's that the dog will quickly let you know what works and doesn't work but that's a subject for another topic.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Koda is home! :) Born April 12, 2022, he is a Catahoula mix. I now have a good reason to do morning and evening walks. I have a M/L crate in the house, and will get a M create for the Jeep. I bought pet insurance for him (paid the year up front). We spent our first day playing in the house, such a loving dog! He hasn't barked yet. Not on the first day, when I met him at the SPCA, and not on the second day when I brought him home (today). He loves kids and other calm dogs. He was bathed, fed, and has a few toys and chewables. I forgot what dog poop smelled like, but I was prepared, purchased oder resistant poop bags (seems to work). I'll try to get some pictues tomorrow morning when we take a long walk before I head out to work.

Dog Carnivore Working animal Dog breed Companion dog

Registered
Congradulations! What a cutie!! Kudos to you for giving a rescued pup a second chance.

Give him time to settle in, get used to you and his new forever home.
Though some dogs do adapt rather quickly to the big change in their lives, others can take a bit longer for their true personalities to shine through, (so don't be surprised if you hit a few bumps along the way)!

Dog Vertebrate Carnivore Dog breed Mammal

Wishing you both all the best!

Registered
Congratz.... Small world ... we have a Koda (name she had when adopted) ... for whatever reason, it's listed as one of the most common names for Huskies... reported origin is a boy鈥檚 name of Japanese origin meaning 鈥渇riend鈥 . In 2020 it ranked 27 in the top 100 most popular male dog names . Our Koda is half husky and they often do silly things ... so when that happens, we place the emphasis on the 2nd syllable and say Ko-Duh !

Looks wise, he's the picture of my son's dog (Huckleberry) as a pup. He's big on the "zoomies", very affectionate and obedient and a real charmer. the Catahoula Leopard Dog is the official dog of Louisiana. Is he a purebred or a mix ? Great that your starting him out right away with exercise as they are very energetic ... the reported breed characteristics were a bit confusing "statistically" as reported tendencies of the breed list
  • Catahoula Leopard Dogs do not get along well with other dogs..
  • Catahoula Leopard Dogs have a very low prey drive. This means they get along well with other pets.
which is somewhat conradictory ... but no dog is a prisoner if its genetics so continued socialization is a good idea. More on the breed here:

Before your 1st vet visit, might want to educate yourself and speak to the vet about common health issues with the breed which include health issues include hip dysplasia (20%) , deafness in mostly white Catahoulas, and some eye problems.

Registered
Congratulations. When I saw his picture I thought he looked pretty young; his April birthdate explains that. I expect his personality will change a bit due both to maturity and increasing comfort in your house. The Catahoula I knew best was always aloof with strangers, but she was fiercely loyal to her owner. I felt very honored when, after knowing me for a year, she crept up behind me and gave my hand a quick lick. She wasn't a silent dog, but she definitely saved her barks for situations where she felt there was something worth commenting on. She got along with other dogs pretty well, mostly because she simply didn't see the need to interact with them at all.

Registered
1 - 20 of 25 Posts