Dog Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, this is my first time here, and my first post and of course my first dog.

So 2 days ago I took a female crossbreed from shelter, she's a small one and we called her Maya. She's 5 years old.

My main concern is she too afraid of us (my boyfriend and my dad) to go outside with us. She was afraid all the way from the shelter, didn't want to get into house and I had to take her on hand to make i t happen. Inside she was running in chaos and after a while she went on my bed not willing to move from there. We've bought her her own bed, so after a while I had to take her again on hands and put her on it. Obviously she's scared but she isn't trying to bite us or even bark. I put a leash on her but she was stiff and wasn't moving so I didn't want to stress her even more and took it off. She was just laying down trying not to look too much at us. Yesterday at the noon she moved, so I though she opened to me, but apparently she wanted to poop. I've tried again with the leash, but she went on her bed and sat with her tail between her legs. I've moved away a little bit and then she pooped and peed on the carpet.

And now I don't know should I take her out by force or let her for few days do what she must to do on my carpet. I've tried to read about this in the internet, but the only advice I've found is about puppies, and not adult dogs :(

About feeding - I've fed her a little with dry food by my hand and she ate it. And yesterday I left bowl by her bed and she ate it by herself.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Welcome!

She's going to need some time to get comfortable and break out of her shell. Keep giving her space and time. Try and be as patient and positive as possible. The biggest thing to work on right now is showing her that you're an awesome person she's going to want to spend time with. Keep a bunch of treats on you and when you walk passed her drop a treat or 2. As she starts to get more comfortable she'll explore a little more, keep the treating frequent until she seems relaxed and confident, then start scaling back. Make sure they're high value, bits of cooked chicken or turkey work well. (My guy is especially impressed by liver treats)

Not too sure about what to do about taking her out potty... you might want to try is coaxing her outside with treats, give her a bunch when you go to put the leash on, and lure her the treats outside. If that doesn't work I would probably gently pick her up and take her out, again treats are key. Either way you'll definitely want to set up a schedule and stick to it. You want to give her as much consistency as possible.

Feeding sounds like it's going well!

Good luck, keep updating, post pics! :)

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
I would set up a safe place for her inside. Make a potty area inside for her rather than force her outside at this point. I wouldn't lure her out either. Even if you're successful with luring her outside, she's going to still feel fearful. The less negative associations she makes right now the better.

I could type out a lot of info but you can read it for yourself on Debbie Jacob's website fearfuldogs.com Debbie also has a FB group that you might want to join.

Debbie's mantra with dogs that show extreme fear is keep them feeling safe. Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts
Welcome!

You have come to a good place. DogForum has MANY knowledgeable members!

Congrats on the new addition. I know how disappointing it can be to bring home your new friend and not have them be super excited. When I brought my girl home a year ago, she didn't wag her tail or get excited to see me for about 2 months. She just sort of went through the motions of living with little to no emotion. She was only 12 weeks old and had already been in a shelter and 3 foster homes! You can imagine how confused and scared she must have been coming into my home. As @Grabby mentioned, I made sure she had a safe space inside my home. Every single interaction with her was with a calm voice and constant praise. I gave her toys, chews and comfy blankets. The only goal for the first few months was to let her know that she was safe and loved. All training could happen later.

Today, one year later, she is a sweet, funny, excitable girl. She is my shadow, my constant companion and my best friend. She goes everywhere with me - as long as dogs are allowed. She'll be training to get her CGC this fall and Pet Therapy training next spring.

Things will get better! She needs time, patience and love. :)

Ask any questions that you have- we're here to answer and support the best we can... and we love pictures ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank guys, that made me feel a little bit better :) Thank you Grabby for the website I'm sure I'll read it all :)

·
Registered
906 Posts
Also want to recommend Debbie Jacobs website, Fearfuldogs.com and her facebook page. Yes, you may have to put up with her eliminating indoors for a to help her overcome her fear.

Your dog is currently shut down, because she is so scared she doesn't know what to do. Best idea is to just ignore her, let her realize nothing bad will happen to her and give her time. The first time she moves toward you, the first time she comes to you for snuggles, the first time she wags her tail when she sees you ... these will make the time you give her now so rewarding! My dog is also very fearful and though it took a long time, I still feel so honored when he makes it clear that out of all the people in the world, he knows he can trust me. :)

Good luck, and please keep us posted.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dia I'm trying very hard not to stress Maya, but at the moment my sister with her children came and of course syblings knows better and children are sacred and they just HAD to went into the room she's staying and pat her on head even though I told them to leave her alone. I'm so angry right now as I see her crawled in the corner with her head down and totally shut out.

And I realized that her bed is not in a good spot as I thought before. My room is L- shaped and wherever i'll put Maya bed i'll be walking by it frequently, but I can't move her anywhere else because there will be even more commotion around her. By the wall I have a table where I can make a spot underneath. I'll be sitting quite near it but it won't so close door as it was till now. Do you think it will be a good idea to move her after 2 days of getting used to one spot?

·
Registered
906 Posts
Yes, other people and kids can be difficult that way. When I got my dog, I did not know what to do and did a lot of things wrong, including having a whole bunch of people around him. :( Poor little dog! But he did learn to trust me, anyway. :)

Could you maybe just block off the area she's at, maybe with an ex-pen or furniture?

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Poor little thing. Kabota was like that for months after I got him. It was 6 months before he wagged his tail. It was a year before he really started being himself.

These days, he's a happy, bold boy. He barks for things, huffs when he's frustrated at you and drops right into your lap when he wants a cuddle. She'll come around.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dia, the only way I can separate her is moving her under the table but I'm afraid to stress her again.

Now I'm geting worried she didn't use the potty area since 2 days. She ate all the snacks I've given her, but doesn't want the dry food, and she only drank a little bit yesterday. I think I'll try taking her in the evening outside and if that doesn't help I'll take her to the vet.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts