Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a healthy older Pointer mix and a newer 6 month old Heeler. They were playing and interacting ok at first, but the past few weeks have been tough on the older dog because there have been several accidents when the pointer is tripping over the heeler who likes to dart under him and through his legs. Last week the pointer fell down the stairs and injured his hip. Any advice on how to deal with this other than physically separating them?

Thanks!

·
Registered
851 Posts
Hi! How is your older dog feeling about the rambunctiousness of the newer pup?

Is your older dog happy about the interactions even if he is getting hurt by the pup, accidentally?

I have a newer super playful pup, Puma, and a bit older sensitive cautious dog, Gracie(heeler mix) that have started playing together recently outside. For me, I am always watching both dogs body language to make sure all is ok since Gracie is super sensitive and can tweak easily, which in turn scares Puma a bit and then she (Puma pup) starts doing stress release zoomies around the yard!

I don't have any advice for you physically, but maybe keep an eye out for how both dogs are feeling via body language/calming signals to make sure the one getting hurt is ok with it.

In case you are unfamiliar with dog body language, (like I used to be!!) this may help when you assess if both dogs are ok after one dog getting hurt during playtime. I see both of my dogs sending signals to each other all the time! So cool to watch. Puma pup does a lot of appeasement signs to older shy Gracie to tell Gracie that she is no threat.

Canine Calming Signals and Stress

Calming signals are a set of body language skills which dogs use to maintain healthy relationships and resolve conflict without having to resort to aggressive behaviors. These signals often occur early in interactions, as soon as a dog becomes aware that a situation may need “calming down.” This facet of canine communication is designed to help dogs calm themselves and others in the face of stress.

Essentially, calming signals are meant for the dog to display their stress in the hopes that the individual it is communicating with will understand and alter their behavior.

Canine Calming Signals
When assessing if a dog is exhibiting calming signals or not, it is important to always look at the context of the situation surrounding the behavior.

1.Head turning/Averting gaze

2.Blinking/Softening gaze

3.Turning away

4.Play bow

5.Curving

6.Slow movements

7.Yawning

8.Sniffing

9.Splitting

10.Nose licking (licking their lips-- with no food nearly)

11.Sitting/Laying down

12.Tail wagging

13.Marking

14.Freezing

Read more here:

Canine Calming Signals and Stress
https://www.greenacreskennel.com/dog...nd-stress.html

·
Registered
390 Posts
I have an 11.5 yr old, a 5 yr old and a 9 month old. I live in a two story house so I baby gate the steps. Rough play between the 5 yr old and 9 month old is only allowed outside. Interaction between the 11.5 yr old and the 9 month old is always supervised. Puppies can be clumsy. It is my job to make sure that my senior is safe. When the puppy was smaller my senior could hold her own. Now the puppy outweighs the senior. My seniors balance is not what it use to be hence the supervision.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts