Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I did it and she's here, and so far ZERO regrets. She is totally deaf and totally blind. She is an excellent puppy, so smart and confident! She barks when she needs to go potty and my other two dogs just love her. My (male) pit mix has been grooming her and letting her nurse on his belly. We are spending some time at my mom's dachshund sanctuary so there are a total of 9 dogs here right now and they are all getting along really well. I feel so blessed to have found her. She needed me, and she will offer me a lifetime of love and learning in return.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I'm glad that she has a good home! It's interesting to me that she barks even though she can't hear herself. I guess she can feel it in her throat.

How will you train her without verbal cues or hand gestures? Will you use touch? I remember reading somewhere about the owner of a deaf dog thumping the floor with their foot and the dog knew to pay attention when it felt the vibrations.

What will you name her, and will you communicate that name to her in some way? The name Helen would be very fitting :)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
285 Posts
awww, she is so gorgeous. when i was working at the kennels, my boss took in a blind dog, she wasnt deaf though. good on you. let us know how she gets on. :)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm glad that she has a good home! It's interesting to me that she barks even though she can't hear herself. I guess she can feel it in her throat.

How will you train her without verbal cues or hand gestures? Will you use touch? I remember reading somewhere about the owner of a deaf dog thumping the floor with their foot and the dog knew to pay attention when it felt the vibrations.

What will you name her, and will you communicate that name to her in some way? The name Helen would be very fitting :)
Posted via Mobile Device
My deaf dog barks as well. I think it is instinctual.
I will be training her with touch and positive reinforcement. Instead of signs or words I will tap her.

awww, she is so gorgeous. when i was working at the kennels, my boss took in a blind dog, she wasnt deaf though. good on you. let us know how she gets on. :)
I will! Thank you. :)

·
Registered
172 Posts
I look forward to hearing about her progress. I'm interested in seeing how you will differentiate commands. Good luck with her!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
She's darling! I think she's the blessed one to have had you adopt her, y'all will have a great life together.

·
Registered
579 Posts
She is adorable! I have fostered deaf dogs before but I never go the chance to hang out with any blind and deaf dogs. I bet she is going to end up picking things up very quickly! I know deaf dogs tend to be more in tune with what their people want from them.

Look forward to hearing all of her stories!

Reactions: HaydenK

·
Premium Member
9,197 Posts
I know she won't ever know it, but does she have a name?

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Is she an Aussie? She looks so young! And have you ever trained a dog like that? Is that the procedure? I've heard about vibrating collars but I don't know if that's effective. But that's the only thing I've heard of. I also want to know her name!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I look forward to hearing about her progress. I'm interested in seeing how you will differentiate commands. Good luck with her!
Posted via Mobile Device
Is she an Aussie? She looks so young! And have you ever trained a dog like that? Is that the procedure? I've heard about vibrating collars but I don't know if that's effective. But that's the only thing I've heard of. I also want to know her name!
That's great that you ended up taking her! I'm interested to learn more about the training process!
We are doing touch training! For example, a tap on her little booty means sit, which she almost knows! She knows she is supposed to sit if she wants turkey but IDK if she knows the touch is related, lol! But hey, she turned 6 weeks old yesterday so I'll take what I can get. We may eventually add in some vibration collar training but not until she is much older, and even then I have never used one so if we are successful without it we won't use it. Funnily enough, tactile interpreting for humans is my specialty! :)

Tracie, she is a purebred Aussie! Her parents are awesome dogs, so I know that she will be, too. :)

I know she won't ever know it, but does she have a name?
Oh gosh. We are going back and forth. My mom likes Poeder, because she looks like a littler Polar bear and that's how I said Polar until speech therapy... I like the name Oh because it is simple and sweet. It is from my favorite movie, Home, about a cute little alien named Oh who is different and nobody likes him until he finds his family and realizes differences are what make him special. :)

Here are some more pictures! :)
(All of us in this one are deaf! :) )

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
She's adorable!

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Very pretty pup! Kudos on taking her in and being willing to take the time to figure out a way to train her and communicate with her.

I'm 53 years old, and when I was a kid, the common attitude (at least in my area) was that it was just best to put a dog (or cat) to sleep if it had a major birth defect - like being blind or deaf, or in the case of injury, the same, being blinded, or have something happen like losing a leg.

Upon rare occasion someone would save their animal and have a 3 legged critter hopping about, and I can remember some people just thought that was cruel. But in looking at those kinds of animals, I didn't see where it slowed the dog up all that much, and once healed the animal wasn't in any kind of pain either, so to me, I didn't find it cruel.

And in the case of my own elderly pets as they went either deaf or blind and sometimes a bit of both, (but none completely deaf-and-blind) I saw how they adjusted to it, and that was just the way it was...they were still happy, and learned to live around their issues as did I. As some said, 'thumping' the floor to get a deaf pet's attention works pretty good. : )

Anyway, it's good to see more and more people have a change in attitude about helping out animals that are not 'perfect' in limb and senses and even temperamental issues, such as lack of socialization, or fear issues, ect...

Stormy

Reactions: HaydenK and piano88

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Very pretty pup! Kudos on taking her in and being willing to take the time to figure out a way to train her and communicate with her.

I'm 53 years old, and when I was a kid, the common attitude (at least in my area) was that it was just best to put a dog (or cat) to sleep if it had a major birth defect - like being blind or deaf, or in the case of injury, the same, being blinded, or have something happen like losing a leg.

Upon rare occasion someone would save their animal and have a 3 legged critter hopping about, and I can remember some people just thought that was cruel. But in looking at those kinds of animals, I didn't see where it slowed the dog up all that much, and once healed the animal wasn't in any kind of pain either, so to me, I didn't find it cruel.

And in the case of my own elderly pets as they went either deaf or blind and sometimes a bit of both, (but none completely deaf-and-blind) I saw how they adjusted to it, and that was just the way it was...they were still happy, and learned to live around their issues as did I. As some said, 'thumping' the floor to get a deaf pet's attention works pretty good. : )

Anyway, it's good to see more and more people have a change in attitude about helping out animals that are not 'perfect' in limb and senses and even temperamental issues, such as lack of socialization, or fear issues, ect...

Stormy
I am so glad that people's attitudes towards disability are changing. That's actually part of the plan for the baby. Pinkman and I go and teach kids about disability and I think the baby will be an awesome candidate for doing the same. :)

More pictures!

Riding a horsey!

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
So cute! Did you decide on a name?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Tracie, not yet. :) We are thinking "Oh" like the movie Home, but nothing is for sure. Good thing she can't hear! :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.