Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Boo Boo and Mama Coral love tennis balls but usually pass on the rope when I have it hooked up to the spring. One day I decided to make an attachment to see if they would get in some of the jumping and direction changes that I can get with Sully while working with the rope. It worked very well! Thought maybe it might be a good addition for anyone that uses a spring type thingamabob for exercise.

I've decided since i took this video that I don't like the angle either of them pull at so I don't let them anymore. Both need some work on their leave it command but we will get there :)

·
Registered
442 Posts
That looks like fun! Both my current dogs are like your guys, and prefer tennis balls over other toys. What I usually do is put a tennis ball on the rope, as well as a stuffed toy or rag for them to more easily grip and to add more prey like movement :)

I think the angle that they're tugging at is ok, you could always make the rope a little longer so they can back further away and make a more shallow angle too. One word of warning about the spring- if it breaks, the metal will spring back in both directions from the break and could hit them. Instead, you can loop wheelbarrow or bike inner tubes as a "spring", or even multiple heavy duty bungie straps (with hooks off), and make sure that you have a slightly longer "safety rope" which will help to eliminate some of the "spring back" if they break. Alternatively, some people will use the metal spring, but run a safety rope through it so it shouldn't be able to snap back at the dog if it breaks. I'm lucky that my guys I have now are just little, and I can get away with just one heavy rubber bungee.

One other caution, the tight spinning and crazy jumping made me cringe a little, as that's one of the more common ways to tear a cruciate ligament. Coral especially, because she looks a little heavier than Boo Boo, and pit bulls/pit mixes (I don't know what breed she is, that's just a guess) seem to have a disproportionately high incidence rate over other breeds. This coming from someone who has dachshunds who jump, run, and do other "risky" things, so I feel like a bit of a hypocrite ;) , but even with my guys, I try to make their activities safer when possible. If you just want them to chase and jump, maybe try a flirtpole instead, so you can make the circles a little bigger and control the jumping/landings more easily. They definitely seem to be enjoying themselves though, and I hope you can figure out something you're happy with for them, they're both neat looking dogs, and fun, too :)

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That looks like fun! Both my current dogs are like your guys, and prefer tennis balls over other toys. What I usually do is put a tennis ball on the rope, as well as a stuffed toy or rag for them to more easily grip and to add more prey like movement :)

I think the angle that they're tugging at is ok, you could always make the rope a little longer so they can back further away and make a more shallow angle too. One word of warning about the spring- if it breaks, the metal will spring back in both directions from the break and could hit them. Instead, you can loop wheelbarrow or bike inner tubes as a "spring", or even multiple heavy duty bungie straps (with hooks off), and make sure that you have a slightly longer "safety rope" which will help to eliminate some of the "spring back" if they break. Alternatively, some people will use the metal spring, but run a safety rope through it so it shouldn't be able to snap back at the dog if it breaks. I'm lucky that my guys I have now are just little, and I can get away with just one heavy rubber bungee.

One other caution, the tight spinning and crazy jumping made me cringe a little, as that's one of the more common ways to tear a cruciate ligament. Coral especially, because she looks a little heavier than Boo Boo, and pit bulls/pit mixes (I don't know what breed she is, that's just a guess) seem to have a disproportionately high incidence rate over other breeds. This coming from someone who has dachshunds who jump, run, and do other "risky" things, so I feel like a bit of a hypocrite ;) , but even with my guys, I try to make their activities safer when possible. If you just want them to chase and jump, maybe try a flirtpole instead, so you can make the circles a little bigger and control the jumping/landings more easily. They definitely seem to be enjoying themselves though, and I hope you can figure out something you're happy with for them, they're both neat looking dogs, and fun, too :)

I hadn't considered the spring snapping, ive been using that one for well over 2 years now and my big boy Sully has stretched it considerably, I'm thinking just throwing some heavy tube socks on it to be safe.

As far as the turning and jumping goes, I can see your point. That being said though I do use two different flirt poles to make sure they get exercise in various actives i.e. stretching and strengthining all(or at least most) muscles and ligaments, and they both enjoy the jumping and turning tremendously, I'll definitely be more aware of them getting hurt doing that. Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
13 Posts
you could use bungy cord instead of the spring , or surgical tubing
how many tennis ball an hour do you use :ponder:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts