Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I've just registered so thought I'd do a topic and say hello.

In 4 weeks time our little Cavapoo puppy Molly will be coming home with us.

I grew up with a toy poodle, but haven't owned one as an adult. I love dogs (despite being allergic to most of them!), and my husband doesn't like dogs so I never thought it was an option for us.

We have two children age 5 and 3, and my daughter wanted a guinea pig. Being allergic to those too, I told my husband it had to be his decision as he'd have to care for it. Out of the blue he said he we should get a dog, and I was gobsmacked but delighted!! I cried and couldn't think of anything else. I spent a few weeks testing my allergies with various dogs and reading about different breeds.

The initial excited-ness is fading...and I'm slightly terrified as I haven't owned a puppy before and I'm feeling a bit daunted about how she will fit into our family. We all want her so much, so that's a good start and I will just have to see how things go. I'm doing LOTS of reading about puppies and looking into puppy classes to try and prepare myself.

Anyway, that's my story. And here is a photo of our beautiful little cavapoo Molly at 4 weeks old.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Molly is beautiful!! You are a good dog owner, coming here to ask questions before the puppy comes home. I am confident in your abilities, you've parented two children and I am sure learned a lot about time management, researching information, etc. in the process.
Reading is good, but read and then apply what you have read to yourself. What will you do if the 3 year old wakes from his nap and the puppy needs to go outdoors at that very minute? How will you teach your children to be gentle with her? I'm sure too that you remember the sleepless few weeks when your babies first came home, that will happen with a puppy too.
So read and think, but also be prepared to enjoy your beautiful new puppy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts