Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I live in Brooklyn and live a very active life in the city, work from home and make lots of time to get out traveling and adventuring - I just adopted an extremely high energy heeler mix who I hope to bring along with me as my sidekick on all my adventures.

His name is Chicken, about two years old - and brilliant. I LOVE him.

I noticed right away that he has anxiety - both separation anxiety and anxiety in general. It comes out in panting, whining, pacing, not listening to commands, and even having accidents in the house.

I know the breed is prone to anxiety without enough exercise so I made sure from the start to develop a rigorous daily exercise routine - with a long morning run, an hour long mid-day play in the massive park with other dogs, and evenings at the beach playing fetch and swimming.

Even still, his anxiety only seems to worsen as the day goes on and he gets more and more exercise. In the morning he is calm and very responsive on our walks and doesn't pant or pace in the house.

Right now I'm working on different things to figure out what he needs - maybe more purposeful exercise, like a job? or maybe he only needs more time to adjust to his new home.

My goal is to be able to take him on road trips with me, take him traveling and camping and staying at friends and family's houses. I want to control his anxiety so new experiences will be easy and fun for him and not stressful.

I would LOVE hearing if anyone has any tips to help me and Chicken be the best pair we can be!!

Thanks!

Natalie

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Sounds like maybe to much activity. It could be that you are pushing him past tired into hyperacticvity. I would cut back and see if that helps. Use training instead of activity. Using their brains seems to tire then out more than physical activity.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts