Dog Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have owned small dogs and have one at the present. I also have a 7 mo. Pitt/Lab mix. He digs holes and tears things to pieces, even toys or anything else. I have tried putting the trick of putting his own poop in the hole but he will just go to a different spot. He is not confined to a small area being that he has almost a full acre of electronic fenced area to roam. My wife and I have regular jobs so playtime comes when my two sons come home and when I am as well. He comes in the house often and even sleeps in the garage accessible w/a dog door to come and go. We try to keep him busy when we are around which is very often. You get the point and I dont know what we are doing wrong. Can anyone help, please!

·
Registered
94 Posts
I had a pit/lab mix before, she was a wonderful dog but they are full of energy. If you can't focus him then he will come up with ways to amuse himself, which can sometimes get them into trouble. Taking him to obedience classes and working with him at home, as well as giving him a job to do will help out greatly. Trying to wear him out in the morning before going to work is also a good idea.

Both breeds are high energy so you're going to have to find a way to get him to use it in appropriate ways. My similar dog, I enrolled her in two rounds of obedience followed up with cadaver/tracker trainer which she did really well in. This is not a dog that will be happy just lounging around, they want to be up and doing something a majority of the time.

Hope this helps and please keep us updated.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
How much exercise does the dog get? (the yard, no matter how big does not count)

How much training? Socialization?

Bored dog = destructive lonely dog... He needs a task...a job...both pits and labs are working type breeds...

when his needs are fullfilled he'll quit being a pain in the ***

good luck :)

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I agree with the previous posts... bored dog is an destructive dog.

I have a lab that used to love to dig. We worked with her on training and gave her lots of exercise. We also put cayenne pepper every where she liked to dig. The problem got TONS better!

Good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I also have a 6 or 7 yr. old Jack Russell, albeit smaller and probably not very challenging. So the lonely part, I think could be crossed out. He is played w/ when my 11 and 13 yr olds get home from school as well as myself shortly after. We have toys i.e. rope, rubber bones, and a treat ball. The treat ball is filled before everyone leaves in a.m. but sure that doesnt last long. Is that the task (job) you are refering to? If not then any ideas on the task and also maybe other toys that keep his attention. Thanks

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
I also have a 6 or 7 yr. old Jack Russell, albeit smaller and probably not very challenging. So the lonely part, I think could be crossed out. He is played leaves in a.m. but sure that doesnt last long. Is that the task (job) you are refering to? If not then any ideas on the task and also w/ when my 11 and 13 yr olds get home from school as well as myself shortly after. We have toys i.e. rope, rubber bones, and a treat ball. The treat ball is filled before everyone maybe other toys that keep his attention. Thanks

Do you know what dogs do together all day while their owner is away... they sleep...alot....16 hours a day.

Anytime you dog is without people(unless hes been conditioned not too) is going to get lonely. Pits expecially are family dogs and do very poorly outdoors. Labs are bred to be with their handler 24/7 while on hunts.

Treat filled toys are awesome but other toys are not babysitters, they are meant for you and your dog to play with together.

A structured task is a job. Walking/running/retrieving/flirtpole/springpole/ obedience/agility/rally/weightpull/dockdiving/bitework/SAR/
etc etc...

he needs to be mentally challenged whilst interacting with people.

Can you take a class or two with him?

hahahahahah I just noticed you said the dog is 7months old.....hes mostly just being a normal puppy!!!

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Jewel (my pit/lab mix) didn't even start to get out of her puppy stage until she reached about 2 years old. As far as the job deal goes, specialty training is always great such a agility or tracking, but I also understand it's not feasible for some to be able to do that type of training. It's a lot of hard work, takes a lot of time, and can cost quite a bit depending on how involved you get.

A job could be simply taking him for a long walk and having him wear a backpack filled with water bottles. For a dog that is a mix between such high energy breeds just a normal, short walk is not going to wear them out. They need to jog or run beside a bike, but the backpack will add extra weight to give them a better work out.

And nothing is better for a dog than challenging them mentally. Make it a game of hiding their favorite toy and getting them to find it, spending a few minutes a day trying to teach a new trick, things like that. It'll help keep your pup focused and increase the bond between the two of you.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
It is normal for dogs to tear up toys, that is what they are for isn't it. Some are less destructive or they don't do much harm to toys. Others will tear up most any toy. It's not anything you can change. He is also still very much a pup at 7 months old, he wants to play and chew.

As for digging it is also a natural part of being a dog. I have some huge holes, mine can dig as they please. Sometimes it is also something they do when bored or left outside without much else to do. Maybe he is spending too much time alone outside? Does he get daily walks, structure play with you and training sessions?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I own a stud Pitbull and when he was a puppy he went after any and all electric cords, and even tore up a couch all the way to the ply-wood. It was a disaster. However after he hit about 2 years old it started to subside. Walking him fairly often is a huge help. And i'm not talking about just around the block. I mean i walk him for an hour or more. Proved to be ahuge help. Now he almost 4 and mostly lazy and cuddly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts