Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI... We are new to the site and our little Max is new to us. We adopted him from the pound 10 days ago. The shelter said he was a year and a half. We really think he is much younger. We dont know how to tell for sure though. Also he was at the shelter for about a month and he was picked up as a stray from animal control.
The poor guy has been bounced around and we are having an issue with potty training. Sometimes he goes outside and other times he will go right in front of us on the carpet 5mins after the walk. I just want to know how to get the poor guy to know peeing and pooping in the house is not ok. I dont feel like we are making any headway. I need some advice. I know we just brought him home but I want to make sure i do everything right.

Thanks....
Casey and Chip:cool:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Make sure you clean every accident spot inside the house so he won't go back later. Don’t use any Ammonia base for cleaning but use those pet stain and order remover in stead.

For the training, confine him in a small space or get him a crate that big enough for him to lie down or turn around. If you have someone to be with him during the day, let him go out side out every 2-3 hours and when he is doing ok with this schedule, increase the time inside his crate and decrease the frequency. Let him go out for potty after feedings, an exercise or when he wakes up. To speed up the process, have some tiny piece of treats with you when you let him out and give 3 pieces (one-by-one) every time he goes outside and remember to praise him like crazy when he does.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have had success all morning. I read from someone to make a loud clapping noice when he is about to go to the bathroom inside and take him outside immediatly... untill he goes out there. soooo far.... soooo good! Thank you also for the comment about cleaning products. I was using resolve. but i will go get pet stain remover tonight.:D

·
Registered
115 Posts
i have had success all morning. I read from someone to make a loud clapping noice when he is about to go to the bathroom inside and take him outside immediatly... untill he goes out there. soooo far.... soooo good! Thank you also for the comment about cleaning products. I was using resolve. but i will go get pet stain remover tonight.:D
Congratulations!! Clapping sounds like a good idea to draw attention from your dog. I will have to give it a try.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think that crate training is the best option. I have always had success with this as dogs do not like to eliminate where they sleep. I would also be sure to appraise him every time he goes outside. You may even want to give him a treat immediately after so he can learn to associate eliminating outside with positive results.

Hang in there. It does take time. Since he is a shelter dog and you don't really know his true history...the eliminating inside the house is probably caused by something else.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts