Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a week ago my pit bull went missing and i found him in the woods after calling his name he was coming to me with his hindend messed up at first i thought he was shot but now i am not sure.He is eating and drinking fine and dos'nt seem to be in any pain, his right leg is swollen really bad and the inside of his hind legs look raw just wondering if any one might have any ideas on what could of happened? i dont have the money to take him to the vet right now and i have given him 2 shots of penicillon and advil and he seems alot better but i am still very conserned about him and hope he can make it till i can get him to a vet.Any one out there can you help me????:(

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have called the vets around here and from other county's but they say that they would need payment up front.

·
Registered
8 Posts
As a pet owner you have a responsibility to that dog. You need to find a way to get treatment for him. I would recommend talking with the local animal shelters (humane society) and see what they can do for you. If worse comes to worse, you owe it to the dog to forgo paying something else in order to take care of him... if that means a couple months with no cable, so be it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
First off, by the looks of his injuries he does need to be seen by a vet however you can get it done, I am concerned that he possibly was shot his right hind leg is incredibly swollen and the location of the other wounds is in a really bad area. If there is absolutely no way you can get him to the vet, you are risking the life of your dog. There are some things you can do but again I want to stress he needs to be seen by a vet.
Clean the wounds frequently, you can use an antibiotic ointment, do not give him advil it can cause liver damage. Infection is a big deal and if in fact he has been shot he could suffer from lead poisoning if the bullet wadding is still inside somewhere not to mention internal injuries you cannot see. I am not certain on the penecillin you are giving him but 2 shots will not be sufficient to curb a major infection from setting in. Antibiotics only work if they are taken as directed for the length of time designated and the correct dosage which is measured by weight you would have to have as close to accurate weight on him to know the exact amount to give him.
So with all that said his injuries look rather serious from the pics, the swollen leg is my biggest concern it does look like a typical gunshot injury even if you cannot find the entry wound.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I know you said you can't afford it but your pup really needs to be seen by a vet. Pits are notorious for seeming fine even when they're injured and in pain. You said this happened a week ago and there is a high risk of a bad infection setting in if it hasn't already. I would contact the vets in your area again about payment options and if they won't work with you then check with your local shelters and see if there is anything they can do to help you out. And there's always the option of trying to borrow money from a friend or family member.

Also make sure that the area stays clean and free of debris and that you dog doesn't keep bothering the area to further irritate it. You can put Neosporin on parts of it but you definitely want to make sure he's not licking the area, you can also take peroxside to clean it with q-tips, but not on any areas that might be open gashes. But please get you pup to the vet asap.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I hope you got your dog some help. Just like the other person said. If you can't afford to take care of your pets, you should not have one. I know it is nice to have a companion but if you can't or are not willing to do whatever needed for someone that is part of your FAMILY......then don't have a pet.
I work at a shelter and do adoptions. I have to review people and make sure that this is a good forever home. Some one that is going to take care of that animal.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I fell very bad for your dog. Failure to get necessary medical treatment is cruelty to animals. I sure hope for his sake you have found a way to get him to the vet, or have given him to someone who can.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'd like to hear an update as well. I'd also like to comment on how the OP was drilled on not affording the cost. I went back and re-read their post. It was stated that they could not afford the vet right then...not period. It never ceases to amaze me how responsible owners who come to sites, such as this one, are villified when asking for help. Now, this person may be a good owner who just fell on hard times...then this happened to their dog. However, they could be somebody who thought it would be cool to get a dog before considering the possible costs. Regardless, we must give them the benefit of the doubt. I applaud those who expressed their concerns in a manner that wasn't confrontational. To the others...I'd suggest you try to do the same.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I agree with you. I don't think people should be so quick to judge people that ask for help with their pets. And I also don't think they should make such mean comments. They don't know what that person is going through or how they live, or how they take care of their pet. Life is not perfect and we all go through some bad times. This person, as so many people are right now, is probably going though a bad time.I think we shoud be as helpful as we can and not make such bad comments.

·
Registered
18,680 Posts
Vet care is part of owning an amimal. Period.

Iam sorry anyone who comes to an internet FORUM for advice on what to do about their dog they believe was shot....

read that again... SHOT.

Is not responsible in my book.

They should be calling vets. Period.

I don't suffer fools gladly...If you feel the need too go for it.

It cost $50 to have a dog examined by a vet. Sell your computer to pay for the vet. Cancel your internet service. They obviously have money for a computer and internet but not for the vet for their SHOT dog????? Give me a break

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
91 Posts
I must agree with Criosphynx. This animal was suffering and needed medical attention URGENTLY. I never heard of a Vet asking for money upfront.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Criosphynx, you are right. I think he should have taken his dog to a vet as soon as he found him hurt. It is cruelty not to take a sick or hurt animal to a vet. I have taken my dogs to vets when I knew it would it was going to be hard for me to pay.And like you said, I did give up things to have them taken care of too. And I also think if he can't give the dog vet care he should give him to somebody that could.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You propably should take him to the vet, I'd be worried of infection or something. Call around some vets may take post dated checks as payment plans. I worked at an animal hospital and we took posted dated checks on payments plans with dates you could afford the checks to be cashed. There is also carecredit (apply online) it's used at a lot of vets and dental offices. Good luck.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Vet care is part of owning an amimal. Period.

Iam sorry anyone who comes to an internet FORUM for advice on what to do about their dog they believe was shot....

read that again... SHOT.

Is not responsible in my book.

They should be calling vets. Period.

I don't suffer fools gladly...If you feel the need too go for it.

It cost $50 to have a dog examined by a vet. Sell your computer to pay for the vet. Cancel your internet service. They obviously have money for a computer and internet but not for the vet for their SHOT dog????? Give me a break

I think the key word here is, "shot." How many people really put money into a savings account incase their dog gets shot? Frankly, while all four of my dogs are well taken care of and do see the vet on a regular basis, I'd be hard pressed to pay for the surgery involved if one of my dogs were shot.

I certainly don't want to seem confrontational, but it must be nice to live in an area where it only costs $50 to have a dog examined. I forked over $600 two years ago just to get my min-pin mix two stitches. Just like in this case, that was an emergency and I didn't have time to call around for the cheapest price.

I have to ask. If pet owernship was left only to those who had thousands of dollars availble in the unlikely event that something tragic happened to their pet, how many more dogs would be put down without ever having had a good home?

It is the responsibility of a dog owner to pay for their pet and vet bills. The dog should be vacinated, bathed, groomed, and kept healthy.

However, it should not be ok for some vets, professionals dedicated to helping these pets, to demand incredibly high prices (we're talking $300 a stitch!) simply because the pet owner loves their dog so much that they would pay anything to keep it healthy.

·
Registered
18,680 Posts
I think the key word here is, "shot." How many people really put money into a savings account incase their dog gets shot? Frankly, while all four of my dogs are well taken care of and do see the vet on a regular basis, I'd be hard pressed to pay for the surgery involved if one of my dogs were shot.

I certainly don't want to seem confrontational, but it must be nice to live in an area where it only costs $50 to have a dog examined. I forked over $600 two years ago just to get my min-pin mix two stitches. Just like in this case, that was an emergency and I didn't have time to call around for the cheapest price.

I have to ask. If pet owernship was left only to those who had thousands of dollars availble in the unlikely event that something tragic happened to their pet, how many more dogs would be put down without ever having had a good home?

It is the responsibility of a dog owner to pay for their pet and vet bills. The dog should be vacinated, bathed, groomed, and kept healthy.

However, it should not be ok for some vets, professionals dedicated to helping these pets, to demand incredibly high prices (we're talking $300 a stitch!) simply because the pet owner loves their dog so much that they would pay anything to keep it healthy.

you are contradicting yourself. Which is it?

No one said anything about surgery. IF the dog has been shot and ther are no funds the dog needs to see a vet to be euthanized. PERIOD. Only other option is the dog lingers in the owners home until it dies.

Um... also I live in Southern california. We have the HIGHEST cost of living for save, hawaii. It cost 30-50 for an exam. Euthanasia at a NICE animal hospital costs $100.

You can surrender your animal to any shelter or vet at NO COST and the only trade would be you sign away ownership. Having no money is no excuse for not doing the right thing.

Your $600 vet bill likely included an emergency exam, a wound cleaning, antibiotic injections, and whatever med might have gone home, plus disposal fee, etc etc...please don't make it out like the doctor charged you $300 for JUST a stitch, That bill likely included many many many services that added up to $600.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
52 Posts
you are contradicting yourself. Which is it?

No one said anything about surgery. IF the dog has been shot and ther are no funds the dog needs to see a vet to be euthanized. PERIOD. Only other option is the dog lingers in the owners home until it dies.

Um... also I live in Southern california. We have the HIGHEST cost of living for save, hawaii. It cost 30-50 for an exam. Euthanasia at a NICE animal hospital costs $100.

You can surrender your animal to any shelter or vet at NO COST and the only trade would be you sign away ownership. Having no money is no excuse for not doing the right thing.

Your $600 vet bill likely included an emergency exam, a wound cleaning, antibiotic injections, and whatever med might have gone home, plus disposal fee, etc etc...please don't make it out like the doctor charged you $300 for JUST a stitch, That bill likely included many many many services that added up to $600.
You are certainly right about the bill including more than just the stitches so perhaps I was just a bit upset when I made that comment. I paid for the stitches, the cleaning, the exam and so forth. This was a 24 hour fully staffed pet hospital that I went to so I also assume that is part of why it was so pricey. Here in Dallas, a general exam costs about $125. Regular vaccinations (If you get it done by a vet) can run $200+. If you have it done at a monthly clinic, it costs about $30.

I also agree about the euthanization part. I was trying not to point that out because the idea scares me a bit. The idea that a vet has the ability to help a dog in need but instead chooses to put them to sleep on account of lost income seems incredibly cruel to me.

In Texas a lot of shelters euthanize animals on arrival if they are not in good condition. It's a sad reality caused by over breeding. If a dog is shot and given to a shelther, they could immediate euthanize it without ever attempting to help the animal. Humaine societies are not always available.

So, in my area of the US, the options would be a) kill the dog or b) remove the dog from the only family it knows and then kill it. And both of these options have been provided without knowing whether the dog would otherwise survive or not.

Could it be possible that the person who created this thread is just desperate to save his dog's life? Is this really the right time to chastise him or her?

·
Registered
18,680 Posts
You are certainly right about the bill including more than just the stitches so perhaps I was just a bit upset when I made that comment. I paid for the stitches, the cleaning, the exam and so forth. This was a 24 hour fully staffed pet hospital that I went to so I also assume that is part of why it was so pricey. Here in Dallas, a general exam costs about $125. Regular vaccinations (If you get it done by a vet) can run $200+. If you have it done at a monthly clinic, it costs about $30.

I also agree about the euthanization part. I was trying not to point that out because the idea scares me a bit. The idea that a vet has the ability to help a dog in need but instead chooses to put them to sleep on account of lost income seems incredibly cruel to me.

In Texas a lot of shelters euthanize animals on arrival if they are not in good condition. It's a sad reality caused by over breeding. If a dog is shot and given to a shelther, they could immediate euthanize it without ever attempting to help the animal. Humaine societies are not always available.

So, in my area of the US, the options would be a) kill the dog or b) remove the dog from the only family it knows and then kill it. And both of these options have been provided without knowing whether the dog would otherwise survive or not.

Could it be possible that the person who created this thread is just desperate to save his dog's life? Is this really the right time to chastise him or her?

Your right it is cruel. I hope im never faced with that... but out of love for my dogs I'd rather see them put out of their misery than linger in pain for god knows how long.

Trust me I feel the pinch at the vets too... my poms teeth cleaning was $700 but I made it happen.

I completely think its sad that more people can't afford vet care, but I do believe an emergency should be in the back of anyones mind. I have an unused credit card and money I put aside for emergencies.

That said about 75% of the people I meet use "I don't have money) as an excuse for not getting vet care when they actually have it(which is honestly what I think the OP is doing) these are people who are simply being irresponsible or cheap IMO. Most often its not that they don't HAVE the money, but they don't want to spend it on the dog. The amount of times I hear "i don't have money for the vet" from people who are obviously not broke is ridiculous.

So ya, Im basically calling BS on the OP, which is why I made the "sell your computer then" comment in the earlier post.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts