Dog Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dachshund is just over 1 year old now, and he is the most loving and affectionate dog. We have always been able to lift him for cuddles and he would love it. Recently, he has started snapping, growling and going to bite at me, whenever I try to lift him. This does not happen everytime I try to lift him, as he is fine with being lifted in/out of car, and even up for cuddles during the day. But, in one particular spot at my house he sits at the window and if I try to move him from that spot, he snaps. Like really really snaps, and is so close to biting. It’s really scary. He also does it when I try to lift him to go to bed at night. I always make sure he’s awake enough before I lift him, as I know this had been suggested but nothing is working!! It’s got to the point where my family are becoming scared of him, and worried his behaviour will get worse.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Could you let him come to his bed on his own instead of lifting him?

When you want to pet him, a more respectful way would be to make yourself available, invite him or wait if he wants to approach on his own, but leave it up to him if he wants to interact or not. Keep your petting short and not overly stimulating. A lot of dogs don't like to be pet very much.

If he is more likely to go off in a specific spot, you could teach him to come away from that spot on a cue or limit his access (take a look at the resource guarding stickies).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could you let him come to his bed on his own instead of lifting him?

When you want to pet him, a more respectful way would be to make yourself available, invite him or wait if he wants to approach on his own, but leave it up to him if he wants to interact or not. Keep your petting short and not overly stimulating. A lot of dogs don't like to be pet very much.

If he is more likely to go off in a specific spot, you could teach him to come away from that spot on a cue or limit his access (take a look at the resource guarding stickies).
the issue we’ve had with this, is he isn’t really supposed to be jumping off sofas or anything because of how fragile his back is. Definitely going to look into getting him a ramp, but he’s a stubborn little thing!

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
My dachshund is just over 1 year old now, and he is the most loving and affectionate dog. We have always been able to lift him for cuddles and he would love it. Recently, he has started snapping, growling and going to bite at me, whenever I try to lift him. This does not happen everytime I try to lift him, as he is fine with being lifted in/out of car, and even up for cuddles during the day. But, in one particular spot at my house he sits at the window and if I try to move him from that spot, he snaps. Like really really snaps, and is so close to biting. It’s really scary. He also does it when I try to lift him to go to bed at night. I always make sure he’s awake enough before I lift him, as I know this had been suggested but nothing is working!! It’s got to the point where my family are becoming scared of him, and worried his behaviour will get worse.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you!
This is very likely to be a medical issue. He may very well be in pain and that is why he is acting this way. Take him to a vet as soon as you can.

·
Super Moderator
7,197 Posts
It could be pain, but then he'd be more likely to do it every time - rather than in the pattern of being moved when he doesn't want to. If someone turfed me out of my comfy chair, I'd be pretty cross with them too.

This isn't uncommon in small dogs, just because it's convenient to lift them. It wouldn't happen if he was a great dane! And the fact he hasn't made contact is positive, it shows good bite inhibition. However, the snap is at the top end of a series of signs that he hasn't been happy about this. They are subtle so you may not have noticed. But, they will have been there, but he thinks you haven't paid attention to him telling you he doesn't like it, so he has had to 'shout louder' by snapping.

It would be a good idea to read up on canine body language so you can spot signs faster - Turid Rugass is a good source but for now, to begin with there is often wide eyes, lip licking and yawning. There is also muscular tension in the body. Then the ones we sometimes do see - growl, snarl, nip then bite. As I said, if the early signals are not seen (or, in the dog's view, ignored) he won't bother with them because us stupid humans pay no attention anyway; so he may go straight to the bite. So it's important never to ignore the early signals or reprimand the dog for giving them; stopping the dog from giving them would be like taking the battery out of a smoke alarm.

Then, I'd do several things.

For now, to move him, lure him with a reward. When he gets off, mark the behaviour with a ”yesss” or click if you use a clicker. Then give the reward. You can also use a word like ”off” as he is coming down, that you can later use as a cue word, once he has learned the association. When he is reliable, fade the reward - sometimes a treat, sometimes an ear rub (if he likes that), sometimes a ”good lad”.

Separately, teach a nose touch. Have a treat in your closed hand, at his nose level. He will nudge the treat hand, as soon as he makes contact, mark with a sound or click , then release the treat. Then (and this is after a few days of practice) hold your closed hand without a treat. When he nose touches it, click and reward with a treat from a table, your pocket or wherever. Now he has learned to nudge your hand for a reward. This is a really simple little trick but you can use it to move him around without lifting him, and you can ask for a longer hold in time, which is helpful for keeping him in position like for vet checks.

And as above, let him come to you for cuddles.

·
Administrator
1,644 Posts
the issue we’ve had with this, is he isn’t really supposed to be jumping off sofas or anything because of how fragile his back is. Definitely going to look into getting him a ramp, but he’s a stubborn little thing!
I was just going to suggest a small set of stairs for him. I have one for the couch for Honey (the chihuahua in my avatar), and am thinking about getting her another set for the bed. If I remember rightly, they're cheaper than the ramps.

Reactions: JoanneF
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.