Dog Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We got our guy from a rescue yesterday. I was told he was found with his siblings completely dehydrated and lethargic near death. I was told he's had two sets of shots and a deworming. He was supposedly eating and drinking minimally in the few days before I got him. When I got him he had dead ticks on him and had been given a flea and tick medicine. So here's what has happened since I've had him:

Regurgitating water
Refusing all food, peanut butter, calorie booster
Lethargic
Weak
Slow walk if I walk near him
Timid ness, fearfulness
Pees only with my husband

This morning and thru the night:

Didn't get up to pee all night. I slept in the living room with him. Either he's too weak or just holding his pee at 11 weeks.
Regurgitated a small amount around 3am.
Woke up and drank water from his bowl and only regurgitated a tiny amount at 7:30am
Didn't pee
Now back in bed
Tail is slightly higher than yesterday but seems quite fearful of me stops in his tracks any time I'm near him.

I am really leaning toward him just being highly highly stressed from his previous homes and neglect and dehydration. His color is good is gums are good. His coat is bright and shiny, skin is taught not slow and dehydrated. He's definitely very underweight and refusing food. Is there any OTC appetite stimulant I can give him? He hasn't pooped at all since he's been with us. If he had bloody diarrhea or bloody vomit I would worry about parvovirus. But he hasn't had that. I heard his tummy rumble thru the night and I know he's hungry. He had puppy dreams which I thought was a good sign of brain function. Now I just need to get him to eat. And completely keep down any water.

He seems ok on fluids so far so if that changes I'll move to fluid enemas. I have a GI coat gel I'm gonna give him again today. He vomited it yesterday I'm hoping it will stay this time. If he doesn't improve by this evening I'll go to the vet. But do you have any suggestions on if this seems like stress or a serious illness? I know none of you can examine him but I get worried easily and want to make sure I'm not being overbearing. I'm a nurse and I can treat his dehydration just fine on my own. I just need some suggestions on what meds to ask for from the vet if your adopted dog has experienced this and maybe what tips you have for feeding him.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I would be careful with dehydration as puppies can dehydrate very quickly. If it continues I would definitely take him to the vet ... I am sure he's stressed but not sure that it would cause him to vomit so frequently.

You could try rubbing a bit of honey on his gums to see if that will entice him to eat ...
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your replies. Wow you're fast. I was browsing around for info and topics for my other dog and was surprised I already have replies. Thanks. Yes, sometimes if dogs are dehydrated enough and refuse oral fluids you can choose to do enemas. This is done instead of the subQ or IV fluids. They more readily absorb the enema. It's an extremely slow process while administering. But it works. I'm grabbing some PediaLyte today but he seems to be holding down his fluids now. I'm very happy he's actually getting up and going to his bowl. Before it was only by syringe. I just gave him the aluminum hydroxide gel which is a lot like Carafate. It completely coats and rests the GI tract during any GI upset. My other dog is on it twice a day for life poor bug has ulcers and we saved her from a swallowed squeaker last year. I'm hoping he'll keep it down. I'm just gonna leave him alone and hopefully it will absorb. I'm only putting enough water in his bowl for a few licks because he tends to over drink and vomit it entirely. So Im hoping by only offering what I would give in a couple syringes will help. He refused peanut butter again. Now some people say German Shepard/mastiff mixes will not eat sometimes for a couple days when stressed. That I can understand but not as puppies. He acts nothing like a puppy would act. I am starting to think a woman abused him because he's really unsure of me it seems.

I'll see how today goes....

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
I doubt the breed mix has anything to do with anything. That sort of anecdotal thinking can cause people to ignore a serious problem. I would think that a pup who is showing fear of you would be a very poor candidate for a fluid enema. I hope whatever is going on resolves soon or you see a vet for professional advice. Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
741 Posts
1) Can you wet his food down to sneak some water into him?
2) See a vet for sure !

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi guys I am mixing a calorie booster with water and I got him to keep that down. I put him alone with his food and he still wasn't interested. I'm taking baby steps so he acclimates. He wagged his tail for the first time today at our other dog. No fluid enema needed as of now. He's keeping fluids down. I just need him to poop and eat.

·
Registered
12,332 Posts
If it were me, I would be taking pup to the vet asap. Wait and see approaches for those symptoms are big risks imo.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Maybe I'm just overreacting but I think it's a little crazy that the rescue released him so early to you. Seems like he would have benefited more from some stability and medical care til he was totally out of the woods, rather than a total environment overhaul.

Definitely, definitely definitely look into his issues with a vet as soon as possible. Puppies need many things other than just water like electrolytes and sugars. If he goes for who-knows-how-long not eating/drinking/pooping consistently then just gets chucked wholesale into a brand new house I'd say that he's at huge risk for dehydration and hypoglycemia-related seizures, to start.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Have you tried broth. When my pup came to us at 8 weeks she was sick and I made chicken soup. At first I just gave her the broth then when she could keep it down I gave her the complete soup. I took a whole chicken as many different veggies as I could find and water and simmered until chicken fell off the bone. She did very well staying hydrated with this. I think a lot off your pups problem is that his little tummy is empty and the bile builds up and causes vomiting

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks again for your replies much appreciated. I've tried broth yogurt and cottage cheese. Today I took him to the vet. He tested negative for worms. The vet thinks it's actually an intussusception of his stomach or bowels. He gave him a B12 shot to try to boost his appetite which hasn't worked so far. He gave me fluids to give subQ to get him hydrated. So far he's perkier and moving about more, actually seems to be hunting for food outside when he goes potty. But, not actually taking any food. Tonight he's started to throw up again. So...... We are figuring out where to go from here and if we can do surgery... The vet still has parvovirus in mind too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts