Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now I was told my adorable Chloe was 9 months, the vet thinks closer to a year, regardless she is very mouthy, we give her toys to help with that. We do notice on occasion she is more snapping than mouthy, she will just jump on you and snap at you, but how do you know if it is snapping or nipping? She is a bit guarding on some of her toys, if my other dog tries to get them she will grab it and hide it and if he gets is she will snap at him. Also, when she managed to get by his food bowl after she had finished hers, she growled at him and I took her away from that situation and she snapped at me. Anyway, I am just trying to figure it all out, she is also very loving and loves to cuddle and does also play nice with my pup, she has only been here for one week. The first 4 days was crated often due to being spayed a few days before. Any tips? She will be in a training class but not till the 16th of August.

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
You posted here in March, and again 4 months later without too many responses. Your dog appears to be aggressive - and appears to be getting away with alot.

Every living animal on the face of the planet has aggression, it's a tool. The mouse can be aggressive in defense, the hippo is the most dangerous animal to man. The ant will be aggressive when on the hunt, so will a lion on the hunt. Otherwise, they are pretty laid back. So why would a house dog feel the need to be aggressive? Spoiled maybe? enabled? In defense of what "it" owns?

Who owns your home? Who runs your home?

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
For starters, feed separately from now on. High value toys I would again give to the dogs separately until you can have a trainer help you address the issue.

She is a teenager and you will probably notice some snaps and bites that are really just play. This is probably not the case if
a) there is a resource involved! Especially with this girl!
b) you notice any warning signs (whale eye, pursed mouth, licking lips, snarling, tail sucked, huffing and chuffing)

The resource guarding is probably something you could nip in relatively few private lessons with a trainer if you act now, but a training class won't address the issue in depth, which is what your dog needs. Is it possible for the trainer to visit your dog before the class starts?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
jagger, that post was for another pup, who actually has gotten past the aggression thank goodness, this is a new pup, a stray I adopted. I come here simply asking for help and advice not to be criticized, which is why I will not post anymore. I just wanted some basic advice, if I had the right advice for someone I would give it.

ThankyouKelly 528 she starts training today

1 - 4 of 4 Posts