Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've had Ernie about 3 weeks now. Now that the honeymoon is over I'm seeing a behavior I need to change asap. He is hoarding all dog toys/bones and won't let our other dog play or chew AT ALL. He keeps everything under the coffee table where the other dog won't go. If I take them out and put them in the basket where they go, our existing dog will get a bone or toy and the new dog IMMEDIATELY takes it. If existing dog doesn't just immediately drop it, new dog whines. Then barks, then yips loudly enough that it hurts everyone's ears and existing dog runs away.

We were thinking they'd find a balance and this would stop, but it's just getting worse. Existing dog tried to make a point by growling and refusing to give up toy. New dog forcefully took (by the way, new dog is 8lbs, existing is 22lbs). Existing dog humped new dog a few times. New dogs continues to bully and hoard.

My solution tonight has been to put all toys and bones away. Not fair to existing dog, but no amount of redirection, praise for good behavior, distraction... Is helping.

Ideas?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi, Tracyree

Does your new edition know any commands? Or have any training under its belt?

Your new edition Feels the urge to control the territory hits as to why it is bullying the other dog. A proper command that you need to learn your new edition is the leave it command. This command insures that your dog knows that you wish for them to stop what ever task they are preforming.

This command alone will allow you to control your dog in many situations. If you need further assistance you can check out a small article over at American Pit Bull Terrier Training which I think will clear up some further questions. If you have any more questions feel free to reach out to me.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.