Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I just adopted a 4 month old lab/aussie shepherd mix. She is very sweet and was interested in everyone and everything the day we got her, but as the days have passed she has become increasing scared and shy around people and different situations. She now barks and backs away when new people come in the house, and when I walk her she will freeze and refuse to take treats or listen to me when she sees another dog or person. I don't know what kind of situation she came out of, but I'm hoping there is something I can do to help eradicate this fear before she gets much older. I don't understand why it seems to be getting worse. Has anyone experienced this? How can I help her?

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
She probably wasn't socialized as a puppy. It will get worse unless you use the time you have now very wisely to jam in some last-minute socialization. It was thought before that puppies have a socialization "window" of 4-16 weeks, but we know now that dogs adapt best to new experiences before they hit the age of 2. So while it will be a little harder to socialize her now, it will still be easier by a long shot now than it will be a year or two from now.

I'd really recommend you find a trainer familiar with the methods of Ian Dunbar, Karen Pryor, Sophia Yin, Jean Donaldson, Patricia McConnell and the like to help you develop a plan and a way to create positive social experiences for this dog before it is too late.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Agreed. She probably wasn't exposed to very much as a puppy, so she is likely afraid of new things. Aussies in particular are a breed that require a lot of socialization as they can be wary of strangers anyway.
I would look for a positive reinforcement training, and let them know what's happening.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts