Dog Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a lovely 16 month old lhasa apso 4 days ago. The previous owner stated she was house trained, and I'm trying to continue this by giving her treats every time she goes outside etc. She's going to live with me in a lovely home with no carpets, but at the moment we are in my parents home (where we will visit every weekend anyway) so I want her to be housetrained in both places.

The only problem is she is still having 1-2 accidents a day in my parents home. I'm worried that this will continue, because a) the house is unusually big, the garden is not quickly accessible and not without adult help, as well as b) we had many many years of 2 dogs weeing in the house. The previous 2 dogs were never housetrained, so there's been hundreds/thousands of wees. Obviously, my parents have done as much as they can and had the carpets professionally cleaned by a special company, but I fear the smell could still be there?

If so, what more can I do? Is this still normal for her to have accidents because she's simply adapting? Or maybe this house is now just impossible to keep a dog housetrained in? :(

·
Registered
198 Posts
I just got a lovely 16 month old lhasa apso 4 days ago. The previous owner stated she was house trained, and I'm trying to continue this by giving her treats every time she goes outside etc. She's going to live with me in a lovely home with no carpets, but at the moment we are in my parents home (where we will visit every weekend anyway) so I want her to be housetrained in both places.

The only problem is she is still having 1-2 accidents a day in my parents home. I'm worried that this will continue, because a) the house is unusually big, the garden is not quickly accessible and not without adult help, as well as b) we had many many years of 2 dogs weeing in the house. The previous 2 dogs were never housetrained, so there's been hundreds/thousands of wees. Obviously, my parents have done as much as they can and had the carpets professionally cleaned by a special company, but I fear the smell could still be there?

If so, what more can I do? Is this still normal for her to have accidents because she's simply adapting? Or maybe this house is now just impossible to keep a dog housetrained in? :(
I think it is normal for any dog (no matter what age) to have accidents when adapting to a new situation for sure. I would just work with her and continuously show her where the new "door" is. Some dogs don't whine to go out, they go to the door... and so maybe the pup just doesn't know where the correct door is yet to show you that she needs out? Just a thought!

I wouldn't worry too much about it. I'm sure she will get it. She's not quite a 1 1/2 yet and its not usually for dogs to still have accidents around a year. She's not too far behind considering the change in home!

Kerri

1 - 2 of 2 Posts