Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! My 8 month puppy just got neutered a couple days ago and we are struggling with the whole cone situation. We tried the typical plastic cone and he managed to still get at his wound! Then, we tried an inflatable donut cone and he still manages to bend a certain way to lick his wound! We even tried putting underwear on him and it didn’t last! He already has licked his wound many times and I’m worried he will get an infection! Do guys have any suggestions?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I remember having this problem with our dog. He hated the cone and would not move when he was in it, just stared at us with an indignant kind of look. So we got him the donut and he really didn't mind that, he actually seemed to like it because it was like a pillow he could bring with him anywhere. The problem was that if he manuevered himself right he could still lick the wounds. We kept the donut anyway because it at least discouraged him or made it harder for him to lick, even though it didn't prevent it completely. We were worried about infections though. What we did was just try to keep him occupied and give him chew toys and things to do instead of licking, like toy puzzles and cups of frozen peanut butter, and whenever he licked we took his head away and told him no. I thought maybe the point of the cone or donut is just to discourage the dog from licking, not to prevent it one hundred per cent, because it seems like any dog would be able to maneuver like that.

At the time though I wasn't working out of the house so I got to stay home and do my best to prevent him from licking (which he still sometimes did anyway, but it didn't get infected). Idk what to do if you have to leave. Maybe the vet will have a suggestion. Good luck :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts