Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 dogs, a Doberman & a mixed dog ( half out & half terrier) I’ve been told so. We lived in happiness for 2 years but once we moved the two male dogs began viciously fighting with each other, to the point of where I had to completely separate them, relocating the Doberman to a friends house for then past 3 months. Both dogs are back home now & I’m still keeping them separated. They are both getting neutered next week & I want to know if this will help with the fighting between the two where we can live in harmony together again. Im not going to reintroduce the dogs again until they are both fixed. Also the Doberman can be a bit aggressive with people too, as he has bitten my husband drawing blood twice that I can remember for sure but he also nipped at my child also. If neutering doesn’t work out, what other options do I have ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also how long after neutering should I wait to reintroduce them together? It’s either they get along or one has to go because I can’t deal with the dog fights anymore, they seriously injured each other the last go around

·
Super Moderator
1,631 Posts
Neutering may or may not help, it depends whether it is hormonal or not. And in fact, neutering can make some dogs worse because aggression is almost always rooted in some sort of an anxiety and by removing the ”brave” testosterone you can actually make them more fearful and therefore more likely to react.

There isn't really enough detail here to tell what is happening and if he has bitten your husband and nipped your child, you should get help from a professional who can observe what is actually going on. However please find someone with current knowledge, who uses positive reinforcement and force free methods. If you find someone who uses old fashioned alpha, dominance and pack theory, walk away. These theories have been widely discredited and trust me, will make your dogs worse and not better.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts