Dog Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question regarding my neutered male's non-neutered behaviors (Mikey) ;) He was neutered when we adopted him at two, but lived in the shelter since he was born so I can only assume his neuter was properly timed and not after he'd become a man.

I appreciate the help-I haven't had a boy dog since I was five! :eek:

1) He's licks female's pee (I've read this is to see if they are in heat) he even does the chattering thing after licking it. Is that normal?

2) He's very humpy with female dogs. He will get off if we tell him to (ok, when we tell him to) but he's fully aroused and will air-hump beside them often times. He even met an unspayed husky a few days ago, licked her genitals and proceeded to follow her around drooling, humping and googly eyed. That can't be normal neutered behavior right?

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
i'm going to respond that it is normal b/c i've seen lots of neutered dogs behave this way, including my own (even though i don't really know much about it yet). i can only guess that the behavior occurs less often b/c of the neuter but obviously, i don't know. clover was neutered somewhere between 8 and 10 mos too so he hadn't fully matured, and he still does this. and he tends to get more humpy w females regardless of whether or not they are altered.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LOL OK glad that he's still a "normal" dog :p

Yup-at first he was a little fearful meeting other dogs, because he was attacked in one of his adoptive homes (he was returned with face wounds)

BUT we did tons of puppy play dates with our friends very safe dogs and then slowly introduced at the dog park and now he's a total social butterfly-loves other dogs and is very appropriate with his responses and signals (not dominant, will easily submit, always does a playbow etc.) sooo it could be excitement for sure! Thanks!!

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Yeah, try to redirect him or interupt him. Try to make it as positive as possible.

A huge mistake I made with my first dog, was correcting him for the behavior. He made the wrong association and I still kick myself to this day about it.

Basically he thought he was being corrected for becoming excited/playing with the other dog and we had a tough time getting him to play with dogs after that since he associated the correction with the other dog, not the humping behavior. :)

Good luck

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
It's normal in that there are plenty of neutered males that will do that - my dog for example! But you might want to discourage it and catch him before he starts humping. Some dogs consider it rude, and while most will simply growl to let the humper know he is out of bounds, some won't leave it at that when they stop and try to start a serious fight over it.

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
It's normal in that there are plenty of neutered males that will do that - my dog for example! But you might want to discourage it and catch him before he starts humping. Some dogs consider it rude, and while most will simply growl to let the humper know he is out of bounds, some won't leave it at that when they stop and try to start a serious fight over it.
I agree with this. My male was humped pretty hardcore by an intact male and since this incident my dog now growls and even snaps at other dogs trying to sniff him so now the dog park has just become non existent for him :( Some dogs take it pretty bad, but the behavior is normal, my males do it to each other lol

·
Registered
103 Posts
one of the ladies that volunteered at our shelter owned a neutered poodle although you would never suspect it unless you checked. He in fact tied with several females that were in heat although he produced no puppies he still was able to perform the deed and did. I had never heard of such until I seen it with my own eyes.

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
i have found this to be the case at the dog park i go to a lot. i'm getting really good at telling which dogs to be careful of. i try to interrupt clover when he does this too.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts