Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had dogs growing up but now that I have my own, I seriously treat him like I gave birth to him (Odin is 10 months now).

We take him to a dog daycare almost everyday and financially it adds up. We hate going out for a few hours on the weekend or during the work week because he'd be home alone even though he fully behaves himself and we don't have to crate him at all and he is fully potty trained. I feel so bad on days when I don't take him to daycare that I will dedicate my entire night after work to playing with him because he looks and acts so bored. He has the biggest personality I have ever seen in a dog. I kid you not, he lets me know when he is sad, bored and even grumpy. It's unreal.

We have never treated a dog we had this way growing up and I honestly don't know if it's a good thing or a bad thing. I don't know how to leave him at home and feel okay about it.

·
Super Moderator
11,911 Posts
Easier said than done, but relax and enjoy. Don't worry about leaving your boy at home. He'll be ok! You can give him something to do, like a stuffed kong or dinner in a food dispensing toy (kibble knibble, kong wobbler, etc.) if it helps ease your mind. Really though most dogs sleep when owners are gone. ;)

Something else that may help you, is that often ime it seems that it's the dogs who are rarely left alone, especially when younger that develop separation anxiety! It's a good idea to help them learn it's ok or even nice to be alone when younger. Saves a lot of trouble and stress down the line!:)

·
Registered
502 Posts
Try to relax and just enjoy him. You aren't giving yourself a chance to if you're constantly worried about him. By never leaving him home alone, you're actually doing him a disservice. He'll be much happier if he knows how to be alone and it doesn't upset him. In the future he could get very bad about being left alone if you hardly do now.

I leave my dogs 10-12 hours 5 days a week, and they are happy and healthy and well adjusted, so I really wouldn't worry about him. Dogs sleep a lot and don't need entertained 24/7.

·
Registered
438 Posts
It is very important for a dog to know how to be left alone. Don't think of it as a punishment. You are teaching him a life skill.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I feel the same, actually for the first few months a new co-worker of my thought every time I talked about Tessa I was referring to my daughter lol.

I just try to relax and think about the dogs who aren't so lucky to have owners like us. I also do my best to make up for any deviation from the schedule by adding my bonding, one on one time.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Something else that may help you, is that often ime it seems that it's the dogs who are rarely left alone, especially when younger that develop separation anxiety!
I learned this the hard way, the poor thing goes mental when i'm not home.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts