Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just looking for advice from everyone else here who has pups. We recently adopted a chocolate lab mix puppy. She's about 11 weeks old. We're crate training her in our bedroom. She wakes up 2 times a night to use the bathroom. Is this normal?

Also, we've been home with her over the course of her first few days & she sleeps a lot! Like some days up to 20 hours a day. If we try playing with her to keep her awake, it doesn't always work. Is this normal too?

Finally, what are some recommendations to teach her that biting humans isn't good? We've been saying "ouch! No!" stearnly and if she isn't stopping, we get up and move and ignore her for a few seconds. Sometimes this works but other times she runs after us and continues biting us. We want to do everything we can to ensure she is well behaved as she grows!

Any advice is much appreciated!

Attachments

·
Registered
433 Posts
Yes both of those things are normal.

Puppies should stop the biting after about 6 months of age, when their adult teeth come in. If she starts biting you, say "no," and then offer her a toy or something she's allowed to bite. Have you looked into toys that aid in teething? There are some you can freeze and that makes them feel better. My little one is teething and man are those teeth sharp!!! He loves bully sticks (as does my older dog) but they don't smell that great. Still if it makes his teeth feel better, I can live with it.

Congratulations! Your baby is adorable.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! Sometimes I worry too much & hearing from others that we aren't alone helps. We have one toy for her that we freeze and some teething toys. I think if we get her some more teething toys for lots of variety, it'll help!

·
Registered
442 Posts
Congrats on your new puppy!
I'm currently housetraining a 13 week old puppy

For night training, I put him in an exercise pen near my bed. I line it with waterproof crib liners
He has plenty of space to sleep in a dry space and pee on the other side
He sleeps really well and we have been getting a full night sleep every night :)
Once his daytime length in between pees gets longer, I will try to get the night training done by slowly making the pen smaller. But I can't wake up all night or I will be a wreck lol

The crate method at night is fine too from what I gather, but then you will want to walk as needed during the night because the last thing you want is him peeing on himself in the crate. The lengths will get longer as he grows and hopefully end

From what I've read, both methods will work. My breeder recommended the pen method for night so that's what I went with.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Offer lots of things your puppy can bite "legally". Redirect biting into chew toys, bones or a nice game of tug. Remember to engage the puppy spontaneously in a game sometimes so that she doesn't learn bite owner => something fun happens.

Alva stopped biting fairly quickly but she wasn't really any piranha in the first place. Had she been still biting me at 6 months I would have thought that something is wrong and that I've failed training her properly. But collies should be gentle and unintrusive, I think.

Small puppies bite because it is their way to explore the world. They test the texture of things and what happens if they bite it. Our job is to tell them which things are allowed to be bitten and which aren't. I just watched a video about almost 9 weeks old Alva and she bites me in it. Her behavior is very playful, clearly it is just a game for her, probably something she has played with other puppies and toys. I end up growling at her (not promoted by this forum), she backs down a bit and before she thinks about it and decides to attack my fingers again I wiggle a rope toy in front of her. She bites the toy instead and we enjoy a little game of tug. I let her win and then encourage her to play tug with me again.

I also remember her attacking my socks while I was reading a book. I wrapped the rope toy around my ankle but it did not really work.

I don't remember Alva sleeping as much as yours but puppies do sleep a lot, I guess. Maybe your attempts to keep her awake by playing are actually tiring her? And it is also a good thing that puppies sleep a lot because otherwise you'd have to entertain or supervise them all the time and take them for walks even more often.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.