Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I just adopted a dog on Thursday (2 days ago). She's really scared (we knew that going in) but don't know what her background is. She is better than the day we got her but the harness, elevator, and other people still really freak her out. She also got spayed the day before we took her home so up until today she has been on painkillers which made her really weird. She hasn't had painkillers today and I can tell she's in a bit of pain but I'm not sure how much of her behavior is normal for a recent adoptee/dog who just had surgery. She really enjoys going on walks although we can't do big ones cause of her stitches, but inside the house there isn't much she wants to do. Sometimes she gets excited about toys but doesn't actually want to play with them, and other than that she just lays on the floor of the bedroom. Is she just adjusting and recovering? Is there anything I should/could be doing for her? I'm just so worried I'm doing something wrong and she's bored or more scared than I think or something.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I think I would give her space and time and peace at the moment. Let her get used to where she is and what's happened to her for a few days. Talk quietly to her and don't approach her from behind. Let her come to you for strokes and fuss.

She's in a place she doesn't know with a sore belly so I think her behaviour is pretty normal.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts