Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there! I'm new here, and thought this would be a good forum to ask for some help. I have two dogs: Callie, a labrador-pit mix, and Buster, a purebred lab, though technically I am not their owner. We're all in the same household, though. Our pack order is alpha female human, alpha male human, me, Callie, and Buster.

Callie: Very smart, does the Pit Bull crossed paws sometimes when she's laying down. A few space issues with humans, if she's not into it she'll get up and walk away. Somewhat possessive of bones. If I catch her growling at Buster over a bone, I put the bone away. I've never seen her display any aggressive behavior, however if Buster is receiving a lot of attention, she may try to initiate play with him.

Buster: Extremely submissive, docile and quiet. Hardly ever barks at all, but he'll "yawn" if he wants something. Preens himself like a cat and sleeps in weird places with his legs up against the wall/furniture. Sometimes I'll see him in the backyard in the middle of the night, just sitting there.

The behavior: Callie does normal dog barking, such as when a stranger comes to the door or there's a random noise, but sometimes she'll keep barking after whatever it is is gone. She'll also bark at things that aren't there, like when there's no one outside the front windows, or when it's perfectly quiet (it's possible she can hear something I can't). Her barking is usually accompanied by whining and the hairs on her back standing up. She'll begin whining for no reason, too. During any of this, she'll pace all over the living room frantically, run outside and back in once or twice, or sit down and stare at the windows intently. If I say anything or give a command when this is happening, it's like she can't hear me. Buster will take no notice unless there's a person or creature there, and even then he won't bark.

When a guest or total stranger comes into the house, Callie will bark a few times, go up and sniff them, and then act completely normal.

Lately she's been engaging in some destructive behavior. She'll jump up on a table to look out the front windows. If I catch her doing it, I'll tell her "off" and "no". She recently scratched up a chair while I was asleep, which is also near these windows. She stares out those windows all the time, it's like she's obsessed with them.

So I'm not technically her owner, but is there anything I can do? It seems like just anxiety, but could it be something else? I've heard of using the Thunder Shirt, but she's not bothered at all by thunderstorms.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I hope someone can help with this, as i have very similar behavior with my pit bull / whippet mix. Sometimes the barking is just incessant even thought there is no stimulus. Also, the dog goes crazy at the vacuum cleaner, treadmill, and car tires. Just barks like mad and goes right up to the offending machine and attempts to bite the moving parts. Obviously very dangerous. The only thing that works is a bark collar that shocks him when he barks, and my wife is too sensitive to put it on him, so I am always the bad guy and has to put on the shock collar. HELP!!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts