Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I have a German Shepard thats a year and a half. The lady i got him from pretty much raised him in a kennel for the first 11 months of his life with very little social interaction. When I brought him home he was VERY shy but he warmed up to me and the other two members of the household fairly quick. Since then I've moved into a house with my dad and brother and he is acting very shy and awkward. We've lived here for months and he's finnaly warming up to the other members of the house hold but is still very cautious of them. Would anyone know a good way to make him feel more comfortable when he meets new people? Also he is nippy to small dogs. He doesn't bite them he kinda just puts his mouth over them, i know this is a play thing but this seems a little more like a warning but it's unprovoked. I've tried to find solutions to this problem but can seem to find anything that works. If anyone has any solutions to his nerves please and problem with other dogs please share.
Thank you 😊
Ps: His name is Eddie BTW

·
Super Moderator
1,272 Posts
First, I'd say don't rush him into any interaction. Let him have a safe space that he can retreat to, where he is never, ever disturbed. His confidence will more likely develop through knowing he won't be forced to cope with things that are outside of his comfort zone.

I'd also recommend you learn to read his body language. Dogs give a series of signals that they are unhappy, but unfortunately most people don't recognise them because they can be quite subtle. To begin with there is often wide eyes, lip licking and yawning. There is also muscular tension in the body. Then the ones we sometimes do see - growl, snarl, nip then bite. If the early signals are not seen (or, in the dog's view, ignored) he won't bother with them because us stupid humans pay no attention anyway; so he may go straight to the bite. So it's important never to ignore the early signals or reprimand the dog for giving them; stopping the dog from giving them would be like taking the battery out of a smoke alarm.

If he is nipping, he is already quite far along the chain. Have a look too at the chart below, although I prefer the term Ladder of Anxiety rather than Ladder of Aggression.

downloadfile.jpg

Finally, I'd suggest training him to wear a muzzle. If he mouths other dogs, it will end badly for him, one way or another. A muzzle needs to be introduced carefully to make it a positive thing. This video will show you how.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts