Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gahhhh!

We had a big problem with out neighbors a long time ago, they complained our air con was too loud (after living with it with no complaint for about 4 years) so we had to get up on the roof and build a little foam house around it. But no, still too loud, so we had to get rid of it, pull ALL the silver tube stuff out from inside our roof, etc, and now only have one wall mounted unit in the lounge room.

Well, years passed, no worries. Then we get home yesterday and they put a note in our letterbox. "dog is barking during night and keeping us awak early mornings. Please prevent this from happening" Aargh! We LIVE in the house, and we don't hear them barking. They sleep in the laundry which is right across the hall from my parents bedroom, my dad is a superlight sleeper and he DOESNT HEAR THEM BARK. The only time they bark, ever, is 1. When the puppies play with our old dog Chloe, and she barks and growls at them, but this is mostly inside and during the afternoon. 2. When something startles Charlie, like someone he doesn't know entering our yard or a stray dog getting too close to our yard.

Also, Dad told me that a few years ago she complained about the neighbour on her other side's dogs. He has little terriers, always has. Apparently a little while after she complained, his dogs went 'missing' and no one ever knew what happened to them.

Gah, my dad is so furious, and so am I... If anything happens to our dogs (the old one, Chloe, or our two new pups)... My dad would be ropeable. And he never gets angry.

He wrote on the bottom of the note "They don't bark at night. You must be dreaming" which was a lot more polite than what he wanted to say. I just wonder what we do from here...I kind of want to let her know that we will be watching our dogs very carefully, btu I also dont' want to acuse her of doing something or her other neighbours dogs... that would just give her fuel. If she reports this to some kind of authority, how can we prove that the dogs don't bark at ngiht? I mean it could be a dog from any of about 4 houses. We called our back neighbour and he confirmed that he doesn't hear them barking at night. I'm just worried that this vindictive woman will get our dogs taken away ro disciplined for no reason... Aargh!

·
Registered
94 Posts
I would think that the authorities would need more than just her word to take any action so I wouldn't worry much about it from that end. If you're worried about her personally doing something to any of your babies then make sure to keep a close eye on them and don't leave them outside unsupervised. Also keep the note she left and any other incidents that might occur, that way if something does happen you have something to go on and can go to the authorities with it. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it won't come to that point though. Best of luck to you, and please keep us informed.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I agree with Fancy. There is not much you can do until she calls the "authorities". I would talk to your neighbour that says he never hears them and ask him to write a letter of reference confirming that they do not bark. Also, if you are comfortable, ask the neighbour who had the terriers, point blank what happened. This might give you insite into the kind of persons you are dealing with.
Also, refer to the air conditioner issue. IMO that is very nice of you to fix a problem that clearly was not a problem to appease these people.
The authorites have more to do than to deal with these unstable people and their complaints. If they do come out and you have all of your letters and explanation, then they will see that you are trying to be a considerate and consiencous (sp) dog owner.
I too will keep my fingers crossed that you don't have any more issues with them. Best of luck!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys! Unfortunately we wrote on the note and gave it back before we had thought of photocopying it... Which is a bummer. But we will be sure to keep any furthur 'correspondance..."

·
Registered
99 Posts
I like the idea of getting some statements from the other neighbors. You could also set up a video camera overnight with the date and time recorded. If push really came to shove, the authorities could view the tapes and see that the night passes without barking. For the cost of some tapes, it might be good insurance.

Or... you could go on the offensive and contact the police to complain about being harassed by your neighbor. That way it will be on record so when/if they lodge a complaint, you are already on record.

Best wishes!
-Mike-

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have had trouble with my next door jerk, it ended up with me sending my first show pup to my grandpas( the breeder) then the guy complained about our other dog getting to big! In the end I had to get rid of the "big" husky because he kept getting out and we didnt want him getting hit...So I bought a rottweiler and I havent heard from the guy ^_^ lol solved my problems...Anyways

Your yard is fenced right? If your nervous about them being stolen you can put padlocks on the gates, I did.
I agree with getting written statements from the other neighbors.
You can also video tape your dogs at night to show proof that they are not barking. Make sure its a long enough tape or someone switches the tapes out so you get a whole nights worth. And maybe tape them for a couple of nights so the lady cant say anything is wrong with the tapes.
Also if it gets really nasty I would watch whats being thrown in your yard. You never know she might try and poisin your dogs, it happens a lot.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts