Dog Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My neighbour bought a dog over a year ago and it is never walked. I've seen her come in with puppy pads. I love animals and want to report this. What do others think I should do. The girl is so lazy I know for a fact the dog is never out the house. Advice plz I only have the interest of the dog here.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
it depends on the animal protection laws in your country.
In Germany you have to prove that the dog isn't walked sufficiently everyday to report cruelty against anymals, but they didn't specify about the length of the walk.
If the length of the walk is sufficently would be specifically decided case by case in the courtroom together with a vet and/or behaviourist.

·
Registered
166 Posts
For the first five years of one of my dogs lives, we never walked her. Ever. The only time she left the house was to go potty and to go to the vets. She got lots of mental stimulation and was an overall very lazy dog. If she had lots of energy she would just run around in our backyard. Now that we realize dogs should get walked, I walk my one dog every single day and I put this dog in her stroller because she now has arthritis and the vet actually advised us NOT to walk her. In America it's very common for dogs not to go out on walks, it's sad but it's very normal here. If she literally NEVER lets her dog out of the house, like to go potty and stuff I would call that cruelty I guess

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I very very rarely walk my dogs. But I do other activities with them. Many of my neighbors probably don't know that because my work hours stagger with theirs and they don't usually see us coming and going, it happens when they are at work.

So I'd be careful of stating that you know "for a fact" that the dog never leaves the house. Or assuming that if it doesn't, it is abused.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I also very rarely walk my dog. When I go to work at a doggy daycare she comes with me, but I'm sure nobody sees her leave because I go to work very early in the morning and come back early afternoon. She also goes to the dog park on weekends, but again nobody sees her come out with me because I go at an odd hour to avoid crowds. Should I be reported for animal abuse?

You have no right to judge someone when you really know nothing, let alone call animal control. For all you know she's walking the dog at an hour that you wouldn't be around for. You really have no idea what she does with her dog and you should stop jumping to conclusions.

·
Super Moderator
4,614 Posts
I rarely walk my dogs in my neighborhood. It's boring and there isn't a sidewalk. I generally load them up in the car, and we drive to a park, woods, or big walking trails.

Do you have your own dogs? Maybe you could suggest a play date. Or perhaps tell her you're looking to get some exercise, and could you walk her dog.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Ka23mic,

Welcome to the Dog Forum! And, I appreciate your concern for your neighbor's dog.

Like the others, I'd want to see more evidence of actual neglect before taking action. I walk my dog twice a day, but I have neighbors who rarely take their dog out on walks because he is so reactive. I've often visited them and I know that the dog gets plenty of care and attention instead the house and they let him out in the backyard, which is hidden from view.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Do you have 24 hour surveillance set up on your neighbor? Do you never watch t.v. for an hour without looking over there?

I walk my dogs daily and usually only about 45 mins. If someone wasn't being a creep and never taking their eyes off me, they might miss me coming and going.

I know 2 people that have disabilities and one that is just plain lazy, that actually use a treadmill to exercise their pups. Usually when they go out, it's only in their backyard. You'd never even guess they had a dog. I know for a fact they get exercise because I'm the one that helped train their dogs to use the treadmill.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I would report it.
Curious, what would you report? I'm pretty sure you don't have to walk your dog, by law. As long as they have food water and shelter. I'm not saying that it is right for the dog. They really should get out and take walks. I'll admit for a few years I was very lax with walking my dogs. They were getting older, less active. And my GSD had poor health, she couldn't walk far, I felt bad leaving her behind. So I didn't walk them as much as I should have. But now we go often.
But back to the point, not walking your dog is not abuse. It's just not optimal.

·
Banned
422 Posts
it would be stupid to report this just because a dog does not come outside does not mean it is abused. My boyfriend's mom has a chihuahua THEY NEVER take him outside. he uses potty pads just like this situation. Not walking a dog is not considered abuse and reporting it will do nothing. the dog may be well cared for just not walked. I never walk my dog(my dog hates it outside and only goes out to potty) but she is well cared for would you report me for my dog not wanting to go outside NO. I doubt she is abusing her dog. DO NOT report it if you do the animal control will just say it's not abuse and do nothing. Where I live I reported a dog on a chain with no dog house and animal control wouldn't do anything and that dog was truly abused

1 - 12 of 12 Posts