Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My neighbor's (who I want NOTHING to do with because the are drug dealers) keep letting their 3 small aggressive dogs dig under and/or chew up the bottom of my 6ft privacy fence so that they can escape their trash heap of a backyard.

While I feel bad for these pooches I would prefer they stay on their side and stop tearing up up my fence. I am not really sure what do do since these "awesome neighbors" are renters and I don't know their landlord.

Also whenever their dogs escape into my yard they just willy-nilly walk into my fenced backyard without asking or alerting me. What if my dog is out there, what if he finds this to be threatening (he has never had someone in his backyard without me there right by his side) and bites them, what if they don't shut the gate all the way when they leave and my baby gets out. It's not like I want their aggressive dogs, I will give them back but they are trespassing their dogs are trespassing.

Can I call animal control on these animals? Since they don't even have their own fence (they have a back piece) they are using my fence and my neighbors fence. I have told the neighbor/renters to please not allow their animals to continue to destroy my property but nothing has changed.

Any suggestions on what to do?

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
If there is a leash law in your area you can call animal control. If they get into your yard and you can catch them you can take them to the shelter.

If they are digging under the fence you can do a number of things. You can bury something like hardware cloth a couple inches down around the bottom of the fence and also have it come up and attach to the bottom of the fence. That'll stop them from digging under and also from chewing on the bottom of the fence to make a hole to get into your yard. It's the most humane method. The other thing you can try is a bit less humane and that is to get an above ground electric fence and run a hot wire around the bottom of the fence on the outside of the fence so that your dog does not get zapped by it. The idea behind that method is that the dogs get zapped when they stop close by the fence to dig. The problem with it is that if the dog stays far enough back when they dog then they do not get shocked.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I would call animal control or the police. Personally I would call the police if I knew my neighbors were drug dealers but I know that can be scary. I would be wary of something like the electric fence because these aren't people I would want to anger. Just contact some authorities about this.

·
Registered
917 Posts
You can call the police and AC. Also can you put a lock on your gate? Something that needs a key so not just anyone can get in.

Reactions: Gilliandi

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I would be wary of something like the electric fence because these aren't people I would want to anger. Just contact some authorities about this.
Not to mention in lots of places you need a permit to do this.
@TruckersMom are you interested in reinforcing the fence or are you looking for other options?

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@traciek88 I have security cameras for them, it is ridiculous I live in an awesome neighborhood with one bad neighbor. The police have been called about them multiple times for the drugs and domestic violence but don't seem to do anything about it.

I think I will try the buried hardware cloth (and hope Trucker doesn't get to it). I wish I could lock the gate but the meter readers and oil delivery people have to be able to get into the yard (both know if they see my car to knock on the door first to make sure Trucker is inside).

Thanks for the advice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts