Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm not sure if this is the right thread to post this in :(. I have a question about my neighbor's dog who I believe is a golden retriever. My neighbors had a small dog for about two years but it disappeared. They replaced him with a larger dog (they got it as a puppy), which my mother told me they wanted as a security dog.

I'm starting to get really concerned for it. They haven't invested any time in training him at all. They keep him out in the yard all day long and I hardly ever see them interact with him. He has no dog house to sleep in. All he does is sulk around the yard and lay down near the door as if hoping that they will let him inside. Because he isn't getting any exercise, he is up all night banging around his food and water bowls. My parents are very light sleepers and it keeps them from getting a good night's rest. I honestly don't think that my neighbors will take any further action in providing the dog with a happier life.

Now, I've never had a dog before. I've had cats who I've been successful with training. I'm thinking of asking my neighbors if I can take their dog out for morning runs and play time in the park. My mornings are free until the end of this year to the extent of my knowledge. I know it sounds like a disaster for someone with no experience to be dealing with an untrained dog, but I really want to do something for him. I'm sure the best thing is for my neighbors to get him professionally trained and treat him like a part of their family but I don't see that happening. I've never spoken with them because I've been away at university after moving to this house so I don't think I should be trying to tell them what to do with their dog. I would love some advice and guidance for proceeding with my plan if it is a good idea. There are things I can't learn from reading books and articles but I'm trying to learn all I can. If it's not in the best interest of the dog and his family to do this then I understand. Thank you!

·
Banned
6,595 Posts
They are legally required to provide shelter for this dog, even if it's outside being mostly neglected all day. Not much you can do in that case...but you could call bylaw or the cops or humane society regarding the lack of shelter.

·
Registered
951 Posts
call the humane society regarding this issue.

Your idea of taking some of your time to make the dog's life better is noble, BUT it's not really a long term solution. Additionally people who want a dog for 'security' often want a dog that doesn't like strangers which means they will often say no to this kind of request.

It would be great if you could take the dog off their hands, but honestly people like this would just go get another one. The only way to really deal with this is to make having the 'living alarm system' cost them enough money in fines that they get rid of it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts