Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, my husband and I recently have our new malamute puppy. It is almost 12 week and now it's the 5th day since we have her. I know it might take a long time to have her been house trained. But it's our first time having a dog and already have made mistake during training and it might hurt our relationship with our new puppy.

On the first day she came to our house she pee and poo right after she got out from the crate. We knew that's normal and tried to direct her to training pad. She pee on the pad next morning, we thought she knew that's the place she should go, but later she has started to go anywhere else. I blame myself not having eyes on her all the time. And my husband became mad about that and followed some (bad) advise from other dog owners to yell at her and punish her for not go to the right place. I didn't think that's the best way to train her but did not stop my husband.

From the third day, we tried to have her go toilet outside. I thought she's not used to with leash and want to shake it off. And she always want to play on mud and grass. It's really hard to keep her on the way we wants her go. Finally she poo twice outside, I thought we did some progress. However, Yesterday, when I back from work, I took her out from the crate and go outside to pee and poo. It's about 4 hours since she has her last pee. She should pee right way. But, she just play on the ground and grass and didn't go, the she wants to go inside, I took her back and feed her some water and food and took her out again, if she still not pee or poo, I took her back and then go out. It back and forth for 2 hours! I really tired with it and took her back let her stay in the crate for a few minutes. But she just pee 2 mins after! And this situation happened again this morning.

I‘m not sure if she become hate and resist us or not. It seems like she don't want to go when she has leash on her or at outside. She grow up rapidly, I don't want to wait too late to have her trained properly. Now I told my husband do not yell at her and punish her for any accident and cleaned my floor and her crate with Natural Miracle. Now I really need some advise how to house train her? Should I start with inside train and then go outside after? And how to rebuild our relationship with our baby?

Another question is we are living in a two-story house, should we have her sleep in our bedroom (2nd floor and in her crate) or on main floor?

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
I‘m not sure if she become hate and resist us or not. It seems like she don't want to go when she has leash on her or at outside. She grow up rapidly, I don't want to wait too late to have her trained properly. Now I told my husband do not yell at her and punish her for any accident and cleaned my floor and her crate with Natural Miracle. Now I really need some advise how to house train her? Should I start with inside train and then go outside after? And how to rebuild our relationship with our baby?

Another question is we are living in a two-story house, should we have her sleep in our bedroom (2nd floor and in her crate) or on main floor?
First off no more discipline when she goes in the house. Tell your husband it is one of you that is to blame for not getting her out. House training takes time and the only thing yelling does is make the pup hide from you and go. The pup is probably afraid to go in front of you on the leash she gets in trouble for going so feels the need to hide. Get a long leash about 15 ft and let her get away from you and see if she will go outside. I would concentrate on out side and not confuse her with the pads. Clicker training is great for this. It helps teach them where to go. As far as the sleeping in the crate you should keep it in your room so you can hear her if she needs to go out in the night. This is what clicker training is
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wv1uvvqaSw
This will help with potty training
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvPiFcG7ROI

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
I'd just train her to go outside.
some dogs get confused, when they first get trained to do their business in the house and then outside.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts