Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chili is 9 weeks old and we've started training classes, we need to find something high value to use in class but I've tried bunch of different treats and he's not into anything, the only thing he seems to really like is cheese. I use small pieces as treats for potty training but the trainer says to much would not be good and we need to find something else. Below is what I've tried so far....any other ideas?

Kibble
Zuke's Mini Natural Peanut Butter
Wellness Just For Puppy Soft Natural Puppy Treats
Freeze Dried Beef Liver
Old Mother Hubbard Bitz Crunchy Classic Natural Dog Training Treats, Chicken, Liver & Vegetables
Cheerios (Reg and Honey Nut)
Fresh Pet Dog Joy: Real Chicken Recipe Pet Treats

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
Give him some real meat. Something like chicken, turkey etc. For very impressive behaviors (such as ignoring barking/lunging dogs on walks) I give my boy some pieces of steak.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My dog can be a bit picky about his treats as well. We buy liver in bulk, and bake it in the oven- one package and have it chopped up into treat sized pieces. The house stinks like liver for a day. Since I just store my treats in the pouch in the freezer, I often mix in other treats.

A little trick that I've learned: mix in a small amount of kibble- like if you receive sample sizes of dog food from events. It will soak in the liver juice so it smells and tastes like liver, but isn't actually liver ;-)

And when giving liver, integrate it slowly. A sudden surge of liver can cause upset tummies and a night of diarrhea.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I will usually just use small pieces of meat for my dogs. They seem to like it more than training treats. I will usually use turkey because that's our dogs favorite:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.