Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

My family has a lab/border collie mix (about 3 years old) and a treeing walker coonhound/lab boxer mix (a little over a year). Our coonhound is really stubborn. She can do tricks and comes when she's called, etc. but if she sets her mind to something, she is not giving up. I know this is part of her breed, along with the howling at everything she sees.

We live next door to a family that has a poodle, there is also a dog that walks around the land behind us. The biggest issue we have been having is her climbing the trees and the fence. The barking isn't as much of a concern (she is a dog after all, lol)

Again, I know that coonhounds are known for this kind of behavior, the howling and climbing and all together stubbornness. My question is, are there any techniques we can work with her on so that she will come to us when she's called (even if she's busy with her own thing) and to get her off the fence when we tell her.

Please help! She's a very loving and smart dog, but I'm worried the neighbors may start getting upset about the fence thing or she could get hurt.

·
Registered
10 Posts
With come when called, you need to make coming to you better than anything else she might want. Make it surprising and fun. Figure out what things she loves best (toys, certain foods, a bellyrub, just whatever she absolutely loves) and use it. After she figures out what awesome rewards you have, change things up. One time give chicken, another a toys, then a pet, etc.

Also, coming to you can NEVER be bad. And, during training, bad could be leaving what she's doing. She needs to know that coming won't end her fun. So, especially at the beginning, coming mean a good thing when she get to you, then she gets to go back to what she is doing. Pick times when she is not doing something dangerous for herself or others. Don't use come to catch her and put her on a leash or anything "bad" at the beginning, until she realizes how great it is to come to you.

With the fence thing, i would teach the off command. I use it to make mine get off a bed or couch. It could be used to get her off the fence though. Again, i think you just need to make obeying REALLY awesome.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts