Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it has become a weekly thing of going to my local petsmart and buying different toys to see what is sturdy enough to withstand lukes chewing. He is about 4 and half months old and he is really chewing which I knew was going to happen. He destroys any toy i give him in a matter of about ten minutes. I now am holding on the toy constantly rotating to make sure he doesnt destroy certain spots but it still wont last very long. With in the past few weeks he has went through 10+ toys. Only thing he cant destroy is his kong and his kong tennis ball. I dont want him to be bored but i cant find a toy he cant kill. Once he destroys it he will eat it or eat the fluff inside depending on the type.

Any toys/items recommend for this power of chewing? He has nylabones but that isnt as entertaining as a toy.

Thanks for the help

· Registered
614 Posts
I have the same problem, to the point where I have given up buying toys for my dog, she destroys it in a matter of seconds.
The Kong brand has a few variety's of toys I would stick to these if he cannot chew through them.
Now when I go to the pet store I just look at toys and estimate how long it will last in my home. lol.

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Anybody try Tuffy Brand, goughnuts brand, kyjen brand or goDog brand items?

From reading around these are the advertised tough ones.

Also he likes to grind the item with his molars so I dont know if anything can stand up to that?

· Registered
104 Posts
If you're looking for a tugging toy, look at some jute or french linen options.
Jute Dog Reward Tug Toys - Redline K9 | K9-Power
Best value french linen tugs-get your next french linen tug here and pay less

I know a lot of people who like jolly balls for their dog, but keep in mind that if your dog is REALLY into it, the jolly balls can wear down teeth.

WestPaw's Zogoflex toys are also supposed to be really durable, and have some different shapes/applications than just a ball or similar.
https://www.westpawdesign.com/dogs/dog-toys/zogoflex-dog-toys

If your dog likes balls, look for ChuckIt ultra balls. Also check out Orbee/Planet Dog products, they're often recommended by GSD owners and people in the sport/working dog world.

For a larger ball, this is supposed to be excellent:
Buy One, Give One - One World Play Project

· Registered
95 Posts
I have the same problem. I try to stay away from plush toys for him but will sometimes give him a stuffingless one and monitor him to make sure he doesn't gnaw off pieces and ingest them. We've also had luck with tightly wound rope toys, like another user suggested. The main brands of rubber toys that hold up to his gnawing are kong (we have the classic kong, kong squeezz stick, squeezz rings, and some of the squeezz animals), JW pet (we have tons of these but Pickles all time favorite toy is their Holee Roller ball), Nylabone (they offer more than just the bones, they also offer other shapes and textures that may work for your pup, P loved the Romp'n Chomp freezer bone when he was teething), and Orbee balls. I've also heard the goDog plush toys that have the "chew guard technology" were good, but I haven't tried them personally yet.

· Registered
500 Posts
Tuffy brand not as tuff as the company would like to think. It took maybe 10 min before it was in pieces with Karma.
Agreed...Pax has destroyed most of his Tuffy Toys

WestPaw's Zogoflex toys are also supposed to be really durable, and have some different shapes/applications than just a ball or similar.
The have been the survivors so far. Highly recommended these. Pax has yet to destroy any of the Zogoflex toys.

· Registered
63 Posts
When I first got my dog, he was a big chewer. To the point where if I were to give him a plush toy it would be destroyed as soon as he could get his teeth on it. We stuck to Nylabones, but he didn't find them as fun - he wanted to gut, destroy and maim his plushies.

In my desperate attempt to find a toy that he wouldn't ruin in an instant, I picked up a goDog plush toy and was surprised to find out just how durable they are. They have 'chew guard' under their plush exterior and are minimally stuffed, so it's harder to get that initial tear that is the start of the end for most plush toys. I am pretty diligent in not allowing my dog to lay down to chew on the toy deliberately, but we play toss, tug, and chase with the toy and they hold up well. My dog's goDog plushes usually last around a month with daily play sessions, longer if we don't play with them every day. Once they get torn open or just plain ratty I throw them in the toy box for him to shred and destroy (after I pull out as much stuffing as possible.) Even when they are in rags they are still really durable and he still has his first one, in tact save a missing foot. The others are chewed up pretty good at this point but he still plays with them like they are brand new.

My dog also has a love affair with his piece of antler. It was pretty expensive but on more than one occasion he has suddenly stopped playing with a plush toy or tennis ball to have a gnaw on his antler. He's only had one antler and so far it has lasted over three months, and still has over 3/4 of the original length left for him to chew on! He prefers it over his Nylabones, and it has by and far payed for itself in how much it gets used/chewed on a daily basis.

· Registered
500 Posts
One other thing that has helped Pax is Himalayan Dog Chews. They are a hardened cheese product. Rock hard but softer than a bone or antler so he can make progress on destroying something and acts as a treat as well. Since introducing those to him and giving him a chewing and destructive outlet, his destroying of his other toys has lessened significantly. They are not cheap but cheaper than the furniture!

Amazon.com : Himalayan Dog Chew, Xlarge : Pet Snack Treats : Pet Supplies

· Registered
58 Posts
I would suggest the IDC Caoutchouc ball with string, or just the specially designed chew ball by julius k9. Very strong and high quality! I'm using mine almost every day and we had it for almost a year now, and it is still in great condition!

· Registered
297 Posts
So it has become a weekly thing of going to my local petsmart and buying different toys to see what is sturdy enough to withstand lukes chewing. He is about 4 and half months old and he is really chewing which I knew was going to happen. He destroys any toy i give him in a matter of about ten minutes. I now am holding on the toy constantly rotating to make sure he doesnt destroy certain spots but it still wont last very long. With in the past few weeks he has went through 10+ toys. Only thing he cant destroy is his kong and his kong tennis ball. I dont want him to be bored but i cant find a toy he cant kill. Once he destroys it he will eat it or eat the fluff inside depending on the type.

Any toys/items recommend for this power of chewing? He has nylabones but that isnt as entertaining as a toy.

Thanks for the help
Hello! I do not know if it's too late, but I would recommend the IDC caoutchouc ball. We had the same problem and this was definitely the best solution for it. Also the same company has the neon fluorescent IDC ball which is visible at night, so maybe you could check that out as well! :)
I hope you will find the one that will work for you!

· Registered
562 Posts
This has been a very useful thread! I don't have much in the way of heavy chewers anymore, but I'd like to nominate this thread for sticky-ship... sticky-hood? You get my meaning. :thumbsup:

I also have a couple of antlers for my two youngest who give them some attention from time to time, and I don't think they'll ever be worn down. The ones that see more use are their knotty toys that they use in tug-o-war. These have also held up very well, though their novelty has kind of worn off. Bonus: there's like 5 squeekys hidden in the arms, legs and body of the thing. We have a squeeky owl and squeeky raccoon.

· Registered
6 Posts
We had the same problem with toys. Our Cane Corso, Kronos, loves to chew,, usually a toy last for about an hour or so. :) Sometimes a day!
Last week we got an idc caoutchouc ball as a present and he loves it! :)
He was taking the toy with him everywhere..chewed it all day long for a week! and much for our surprise, still in the same condition as we got it. :)

Attachments

· Registered
471 Posts
My dog is an expert rope shredder and heavy chewer. I swear he is part parrot because he loves to shred things. He loves cow hooves and horns. They are pretty hard, but softer than antlers and nylabones. He is a gnawer and not a cruncher, so I don't really worry about him hurting his teeth or jaws.

· Registered
291 Posts
I second the Horns. Molly has enjoyed her Bison horn for quite a while now and loves to throw it in the yard at times. It seems to be not as hard on her teeth than what her antlers were like. (loves those too)
She is a maniac chewer and the Bison horn will flake over heavy use.
Should be inspected often.
Thanks for the info on the caoutchouc ball. I am going to get one today :)

· Registered
297 Posts
I second the Horns. Molly has enjoyed her Bison horn for quite a while now and loves to throw it in the yard at times. It seems to be not as hard on her teeth than what her antlers were like. (loves those too)
She is a maniac chewer and the Bison horn will flake over heavy use.
Should be inspected often.
Thanks for the info on the caoutchouc ball. I am going to get one today :)
This is why I love this forum. I feel so happy that once in a while I can help others out with great choices. Make sure you share pics :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.