Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend, the one who gave me Zody, now has the sweetest toy poodle around. She got her from her granddaughter who just gave birth to a baby, and is supposedly going to keep her for around a month. The dog's name is Delilah, and she's around 8 years old. That's the good news.

The rant is that the reason friend is pet sitting is because Delilah is a barker (has barely barked since friend has her), kids 2 yr old, 5 year old, and 7 year old, pester her, husband can't stand her, well now that's probably why she was barking so much. She spent most of her time hiding under the bed. Delilah is skin and bones, I guess granddaughter was to busy to notice? She's also nervous if you move your foot towards her, from what friend says they'd stamp their feet at her to get her to move. She's wary of brooms, I was told she'd been swatted with one. Why??? Why do that to such a sweet dog?!?! Honestly she just wants to cuddle, so far she has excellent house manners. I suspect it was the barking but that's their fault, if she's as stressed at that house as I imagine. Uggghhhh I hate to see any dog cringe like she does, but I really hate it when the dogs such a sweetheart. I really hope that the granddaughter decides to let my friend keep her. She'll get lots of love, not be harassed, and won't live in fear.

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh forgot to add, she's so thin because she's missing teeth and could not eat the kibble they sent her with. After we soaked it in hot water and made it soft she ate just fine, hopefully she'll regain her weight steadily. It's hard to know what food to switch her to, friend is game to put her on Zody's food, but will only do so if graddaughter lets her keep her. If not it'll have to be a grocery store brand and not sure if canned or kibble is best. We're trying to see if she can handle the size of Zody's kibble.

·
Registered
261 Posts
That sucks :(

I seriously don't know how the hell people can have that many kids and a dog. At the very least, everyone in the household has to be on board before a dog enters.

Poor thing.

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That sucks :(

I seriously don't know how the hell people can have that many kids and a dog. At the very least, everyone in the household has to be on board before a dog enters.

Poor thing.

She got the dog before she had the first child, and I'm guessing the situation just got worse after every child, and since she never taught the kids how to interact with Delilah it's a testimony to how sweet Delilah is that none of the kids got bit. Baby makes number 4 and I'm just hoping that she decides taking Delilah back will be to much, originally she asked friend to adopt her but then decided she loved her to much to give her up.

·
Registered
614 Posts
That makes me so sad! I don't have kids yet, but am planning to start next year, my dogs and cats are here first, they will not be treated differently just coz a child has entered the house I could not do that to them, some people should not have either kids nor dogs/pets!

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
It breaks my heart to hear of any dog living in fear :( Stamping & yelling!! :mad:
I really hope your friend can keep her now, I'm guessing that if no one suggests otherwise she will just end up staying with your friend, or your friend could ask the Granddaughter now while everything is chaotic, chances are she'll be grateful, fingers crossed.

·
Registered
9,474 Posts
Your friend should try to convince her Granddaughter to let her keep her, pointing out what the kids are doing to her. They can always visit her.

xing my fingers that things work our for the pup.

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Your friend should try to convince her Granddaughter to let her keep her, pointing out what the kids are doing to her. They can always visit her.

xing my fingers that things work our for the pup.

She's planning to, she just has to be careful how she does so. I suggested not doing so right away while granddaughter is going to be really missing the dog but to wait a week or two. I'm thinking by then she'll be exhausted from the new baby and the 3 little ones, but missing Delilah less and more likely to let her go.

·
Super Moderator
3,837 Posts
This is so sad. I would suggest that your friend not even bring up the subject of adopting the dog with her granddaughter. The granddaughter will probably be too busy with her baby to even think about the dog, and if all goes well, one week will become two, two weeks will become three, and so on.

Also, rather than talk about a permanent adoption, your friend can suggest that she just take care of the dog on while the children, and especially the baby, are growing up. That arrangement won't seem so "final" for the granddaughter, who will probably be relieved not to have to care for the dog, but maybe doesn't want to face a decision about giving up her dog.

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My friend finally got a straight answer from her Granddaughter.... She gets to keep Delilah! I'm so happy for them both:D

I've helped friend figure out how to best feed her and she's put on some weight, she's still a bit to thin but compared to what she was she's so much better.

Friend took her to the vet last month so now she's up to date on all her shots and she had her teeth cleaned and one removed. I'm betting the poor thing must feel so much better. The good news is that aside from being a little underweight and needing her teeth taken care of she is in very good health.

Miss Delilah gives a whole new meaning to the term velcro dog. She LOVES to be held and cuddled, if we try to put her down before she's ready she leans into us so that we literally have to peel her off. I told my friend that Delilah is not a dog she is a remora remora | fish | Britannica.com . I've honestly never seen a dog behave like she does:rolleyes:

·
Banned
6,019 Posts
So sorry just seen this post! im glad for the dog has a better new home! any pics?

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So sorry just seen this post! im glad for the dog has a better new home! any pics?

Not yet. I've been meaning to bring my camera over there and take some but keep forgetting.

·
Registered
436 Posts
That pisses me off. They do not deserve to have a dog.

Just read the update. Glad your friend gets to keep her!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.