Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm picking up our pug puppy next weekend on Friday night, and will then have an approximately 3 hour trip back home. I know I will need to stop at least once to let the poor little guy go potty(assuming he doesn't in his crate). This is a black pug puppy, at night, so not having him on some sort of leash or harness is not an option.

He is on the larger side when we met him a few weeks ago, does anyone have any recommendations?? It will probably be his first experience with a harness or leash, and I don't want to traumitize him, but I also don't want him to get away!

Help please!

-New Puppy Owner :)

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
I would get something cheap and adjustable. Perhaps something bright or with reflective tape if you're worried about him being seen at night for potty breaks (but if you're right by him, you could just wear something bright and it wouldn't be a problem).

Are you buying from a breeder? If you're not sure on size, you could always phone ahead and ask if they'd be willing to pick something up for you and you could just reimburse them when you got there.

I usually wait until the pup is 8+ months old before I get anything remotely nice or permanent; I hate spending a lot of money on something that may get chewed or that the dog will grow out of!

Congrats on your puppy!!

·
Super Moderator
11,911 Posts
I also wait until my dogs reach adult size before buying anything pricey. Often the first harness I buy is a simple roman style harness or even a step in. I like Lupine for puppies because of their guarantee (will replace for any reason even chewed up).;)
https://www.lupinepet.com/
If you take a look on amazon I bet you'll be able to find some good prices on lupine as well as other brands.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes I am picking him up from a breeder, I suppose I could call and ask. They have been ridiculously helpful so far so I doubt this would be much of a stretch..

Probably easiest just to do as you suggested and get a cheap adjustable, for the length of time it will be on him the only reason I care a ton about comfort is I don't want to traumatize him from leashes or harnesses...

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Yes I am picking him up from a breeder, I suppose I could call and ask. They have been ridiculously helpful so far so I doubt this would be much of a stretch..

Probably easiest just to do as you suggested and get a cheap adjustable, for the length of time it will be on him the only reason I care a ton about comfort is I don't want to traumatize him from leashes or harnesses...
There are some fairly comfy cheaper harnesses. Most are pretty much as adjustable as you need; if the breeder found one for you that fit and you didn't spend too much on it anyway, it wouldn't really matter how adjustable it was as you could always pick up a new one when the time came.

If you weren't too afraid of putting the breeder out, you could ask them to put the harness on the puppy a bit, feed treats, or whatever they think would work best to get the pup used to the harness before you come so he's ready to go.

Personally, as long as they didn't hang him upside down from the harness or something else terribly crazy, I doubt anything will happen that will traumatize him from harnesses forever.

·
Registered
500 Posts
If this is your first puppy, I would go for the breeder way or at least ask how big the puppy is. I bought a collar before picking my puppy up and it was too big. I did not know a collie puppy would be so small!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts